Chapter 26

Adalee's POV

Not wanting to do this, I try to convince Victoria to let me out of it. "Please, Ria. Please don't make me."

"You are doing it, end of discussion." Victoria looks over to me as I pout, really nervous for what she is about to make me do.

"But what if they don't like me?" I ask pitifully, knowing she isn't going to let me back out.

"My sister's love you, the kingdom will too," she reassures, holding my hand. Placing a light kiss on my forehead, she leads me to the meeting hall.

She prepares me for what is about to happen. "You will make a short speech in front of most of our kingdom. Not everyone is there, but the higher ranking people are. There are also plenty of civilians there too, ready to be greeted by us."

Nodding along, I slightly stumble in my heels. I wanted to look good for this occasion, meaning I wore the dress Alicia and I bought. I got it fitted and everything, looking the best I possibly could.

We finally arrive, walking onto the stage. I focus on my footing, ensuring that I don't fall. That would be so embarrassing! But I'm sure the love of my life would catch me.

Standing in front of the kingdom, I'm practically shaking under their gaze. I feel every single person scrutinizing me, and I just wish for this to be over soon.

"Welcome. I'm here to introduce my mate to everyone. Her name is Adalee, and she will be treated with as much respect as you treat me with. Please welcome her with open arms," Victoria says to the large crowd.

They all cheer at the news that their queen found her mate. I smile at them, slightly less intimidated now that they have positive feelings towards me.

Victoria gestures for me to speak, so I say the first thing that comes to my mind, "Hello everyone. I'm so happy to be by Victoria's side, and I'm ready to help her lead. I will have your best interests at heart, and will protect you guys the best I can. I know that might not mean much, as I am a human, but I promise you, I will stand by you every step of the way."

I look to Victoria as the crowd cheers at my short speech, and I see an unknown emotion swimming in her eyes. Pride? Adoration?

She thanks the crowd for coming, before leading me off into the mass of people to mingle.

I meet many new people, a lot of them working closely with Victoria to lead. Using my best manners, I try to be polite, despite the invasive questions we are asked.

Finally catching a break from the nosy people, Victoria and I break off to get some fresh air. As we are walking that way, her steps falter, freezing in her spot. I turn to my mate, a questioning look in my gaze. "What is wrong? Is everything okay?"

Victoria looks like she's seen a ghost. Looking at me, eyes wide, she says, "The mermaid hunters are attacking."