Chapter 16

Adalee's POV

"I want trackers finding her, now!" Victoria yells; angry everyone is just standing here.

The trackers scurry out of the meeting room, going to track. Victoria sighs and sits down, saying, "Everyone is dismissed."

People file out, me walking towards her to comfort her. Victoria turns to me and informs me of what I wouldn't expect. "They left a note. They ask for you to be returned in exchange for Alicia."

My jaw drops, shocked. The person who kidnapped Alicia is trying to get me? "What do they mean by 'returned?'" I ask, confused by who would do this.

Victoria put her head in her hands, seemingly frustrated. "I don't know. They must know you."

We left from the restaurant straight back to the castle in a hurry. I could tell Victoria was extremely worried, but tried to put on a brave face.

Alicia was so sweet to me and I loved her personality. She reminds me of my mom, silly and goofy. My mom was such a kind soul, just like Alicia. Her being kidnapped brings me back to my mom's death. The pain and guilt all coming back to me.

"I'm sorry, Ria. I can't think of anyone who knows of mermaids." I move to sit beside her, grabbing her hand comfortingly.

Victoria lets out a recently rare smile, looking to me. "Ria?"

I feel a heat rise to my cheeks, knowing I'm blushing. I hadn't meant to call her that. "I'm sorry, Victoria," I say, putting emphasis on her full name. "It is just a stupid nickname that I've been calling you in my head. I didn't mean to say it out loud."

She squeezes my hand, saying, "Don't worry. I like it. No one's ever called me that before." Smiling at her, I lean in and give her a quick kiss, wanting to take her mind off things, if even for just a second.

We pull away and smile at each other. Soon, Victoria sighs, reality setting back in. "I'm going to help the trackers. You must stay in the castle, preferably in our room. I will have meals delivered three times a day to your door."

Shaking my head, I insist, "I want to come with you. Alicia became my sister the moment we found out we are mates. I want to help find her too."

"Not only is it too dangerous, you will slow us down. I just want you to be safe here." Victoria leans in, kissing me. Giving me a hint of our future together, she then pulls away. "I must leave now to catch up with them. I will see you when we get Alicia back."

With that, she disappears, leaving me with an emptiness in my soul.