♪ Speak Softly ♪ {4}

Start from the beginning

As soon I opened the door to the apartment, I was met with the putrid stink of alcohol and I instantly covered my nose, scrunching it up in distaste.

"Marco?" I called out, cautiously taking a step inside the dark home. I left the park about a half-hour ago once the sun had started its descent. It was probably around 7:00 PM, and I still had to make dinner for me and my step-father.

When no response came, I closed the door behind me and flicked on the lights. There was an irritated roar and I instantly turned the lights back off, realizing the smell came from Marco probably spending the remnants of our grocery money on beer. My best bet was that he was hung over right now. My high spirits crashed and I shook off my shoes, heading deeper into the cave that was the Carson household.

Making my way to the kitchen, I caught a glimpse of Marco lying face down on the ground in the living room. Inwardly, I cringed knowing that when I was going to wake him up for dinner, it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

Twenty minutes and two packs of Insta-Ramen later, Marco and I were sitting at the small island with two steaming bowls of Korean noodles poised in front of us; Marco sported new tired bags under his eyes, while I was recently blessed with a new bruise on my collarbone.

I sat there, my bowl of Ramen untouched, analyzing the way my step-dad slurped away at the noodles carefreely, as if we were a normal family. As if Mom weren't dead, we weren't living in poverty, and he wasn't an abusive father. A slight shiver of disgust ran up my spine.

A part of me always thought that I should probably tell someone one day. About how I live like this, with this constant battle against myself and my step-father. But if that happened, I would lose Marco and even if he wasn't my best bet, he was all I had left. I couldn't leave. Where would I go? I didn't necessarily love it here but that didn't mean I could just run away and end up starving on the streets. Besides, my 18th birthday was coming up. Only then would I think of the possibility of moving out and finding a job far away from here in order to provide for myself. I would even send money to Marco. Because I was just that nice.

The thoughts continuously swarmed in my head and pretty soon, I started feeling lightheaded. Like I always did when I thought of running away. It was if there was a new feeling being unlocked inside of me whenever the thoughts occurred.

"I'm not hungry." I declared, pushing my bowl away from me. And I really wasn't. My appetite disappeared along with the hope of escaping my life. Marco let out a grunt and mindlessly took my bowl and brought it to his face, slurping away. I watched as the soup dribbled down his chin and then pushed up from the table. "Excuse me."

Marco didn't even acknowledge my absence as I made my way to my room, locking the door and flopping onto my bed. Lying down and staring at the ceiling, I willed myself to relax as I reached for Rev on my dresser. The calmness I was waiting for took over as soon as my hand brushed the wood and even though it was only eight, I felt drowsiness take over me and saw the black swirling at the corners of my eyes. I caught a glance at the sleeping pills kept on my dresser; the doctor prescribed them because ever since Mom committed suicide, I had a bad case of insomnia. But that wasn't the case tonight.

My eyes closed and I started floating off into unconsciousness when suddenly, a strong, rough hand wrapped around my mouth, stopping me from crying out. I felt my eyes snap open but they just wouldn't adjust fast enough and all I could make out was the blurry shape of my attacker.

Was it Marco? I thought, still in a state of shock as the mystery person grabbed my arms with their free hand and hoisted me off my bed, knocking Rev out of my hands, and other assorted things off my dresser.

Finally, some sort of awareness registered and I shoved back, making the person fall to the ground. Sadly, I fell along with them. "Ack!" The person cried out and I'm pretty sure that the voice was male. Scrambling to my feet, I got into a defensive stance and watched the shadowy figure rise too, holding up its hands in the universal sign for surrender.

"Lacey, calm down, it's just—" He started, and the voice seemed familiar but the adrenaline was coursing through my veins and before I knew it, I punched him right smack in the jaw.

"Ow!" We both exclaimed. He put a hand to his mouth and I shook my right fist while wincing a bit at the sudden pain shooting up it, but quickly composed myself as I watched my attacker come closer to me. Instinctively I slid to the ground, bringing my entire leg around and hooking them around the male's legs, pulling them out from under him. He toppled to the ground and I lunged at his fallen body, straddling his waist while grabbing the neckline of his shirt and yanking his upper body up. I dragged his face up to mine and sneered, "Who are you and what the hell are you doing in my room?"

Just then, the lights flickered on and I was met with the shocked gaze of Xander and for a second, my emotions were caught as my eyes widened in surprise too.

"Well, well. I always knew you two would hook up one day. What a sexy position you have going on there. Feisty." A voice giggled from the window and I saw Olivia sitting on the windowsill, looking at my compromising situation on the floor.

"Awww, cute. Look at them, Olive!" Amber crooned from the other side of the room, by the light switch. Her eyes sparkled with amusement and I felt my cheeks go warm.

"Cute, my ass. Sheesh, Lacey. Since when can you pack a punch?" Xander moaned from underneath me and my gaze flicked down to where I was still straddling him. My eyes widened further at the thick red on that covered his cheeks, but even more so at the formulating bruise on his jawline. Did I do that?

"Well, I am a delinquent." I retorted, using his earlier words as I rolled off of him and rubbed my sore knuckles. "What are you guys doing here? And how did you even get in?"

Olivia smirked and held out a manicured hand, examining her bright pink nail polish. "I'm not as innocent as you make me out to be. Picking locks are my favorite past time." She winked.

Rolling her eyes, Amber made her way over to me and Xander, where I was helping him up. "And we're here to take you to that concert, Lace. Caden's out in the truck and Carter said she's meeting us at the gig, so get your butt out that window!"

"Hey, this is a form of kidnapping!" I eyed them all, not budging from my spot. "Besides, I can't just sneak out at night. I told you all my curfew's at 8 sharp!"

"You were serious about that?" Xander asked, cocking his head to one side curiously.

"Yes! Now, go on and have your fun—"

"That's a really pathetic curfew for a teenager your age, Lace."

"Xander, shut up."

"Oh, well. Guess we'll have to take you by force." Olivia grinned mischievously and Amber snapped, causing Xander to grin and scoop me up bridal-style.

"The hell-?" I exclaimed, flailing a bit. "Xander! Put me down!"

"Mm, no. This is quite nice." Xander laughed and he carried me to the window while I punched at his chest. "That doesn't hurt, Lacey."

"Oh, yeah? Want me to punch your face again?" I snapped but he just shrugged it off, setting me down at the front of the window. The three of them cornered me and I started feeling a little claustrophobic, shrinking back a bit.

"Listen, Lacey. We don't want to force you into doing something you don't want. But what we want is for you to come. You're our friend and we want you there. It wouldn't be the same without you." Olivia said with a small smile. She scooted out the open window and onto one of the branches of the old oak tree right outside my room. "So, it's your choice. You can stay here while we have the time of our lives, or..."

Amber jumped out next, landing on the branch right beside where Olivia was standing. "Or you can come with us!" She grinned.

My thoughts swirled in my head, torn between actually trying to live my life, or the consequences of my soon to be actions. Marco was really strict about curfew, and I've never broken it before. I was always too afraid, because I knew what my step-dad was capable of. And face it, I was a coward. Being hurt so many times, I was just terrified of being hurt again. Emotionally, though. Physical hurt is nothing compared to the pain I feel inside.

But Olivia's words echoed in my mind, making my will crash onto the carpet underneath my feet. You're our friend. The guilt consumed me and my eyes readjusted to the scene in front of me. Olivia and Amber were perched on the sturdy branches of the tree just outside my window, expectant looks on their faces. Xander stood by the window, one leg already outside. My gaze locked with his and he smiled warmly, extending his hand out me.

I was hit with an Disney's Aladdin déja vu and my last resort crumbled. With one last glance at my locked bedroom door, I imagined the countless times Marco had beaten me in this very spot. Willing myself not to cringe, I thought of him just a few feet away, probably passed out on the kitchen table where I left him. He wouldn't notice my absence, would he? I mean, he's barely even noticed me before.

"Lace?" Xander's voice dragged me out of thoughts again, and I focused on his hand reached out towards me. With a sigh, I took it hesitantly as he grinned and helped me climb out of the window.

"Alright, but you all so owe me."