♪ Keep It Locked ♪ {22}

"So what if I don't have,
A lot to talk about?
I shut my mouth and keep it,
Locked until it counts." -Be Alone

Every part of my body tensed, and I felt my hands instinctively ball into fists, clenching with each strain of the muscle. A proposition, Mike had just said. There was a part of me that was undeniably curious, but I knew I had to understand what I was getting myself into first. I was quite aware of the blood running through my ears at an almost deafening volume.

"Lacey?" Mike asked again, making me shake my head in order to hear more clearly. "Did you hear what I said?" I shook my head no, drawing my lips into a straight, emotionless line.

Mike sighed a little before glancing over my shoulder to make sure he wasn't heard as he began to repeat himself. "I know that you and that Xavier kid-"

"Xander." I corrected automatically, resisting the immature urge to roll my eyes.

"-aren't really related." He continued as if I hadn't interrupted. "I have every right to report you to both the police for fraud and to the executive board of Infinity Records to get you and your band kicked out of this competition." I bristled, feeling the blood in my veins freeze. "But I won't."

"You... you won't?" I managed to sputter out in disbelief, sending him a skeptical look- my blue eyes bore into his.

"Under several conditions, of course."

"...Of course." I muttered under my breath. Releasing a sigh, I let my fists relax as I pinched the bridge of my nose and closed my eyes wearily. "What conditions are talking about, exactly?"

Mike hesitated, as if uncertain where to begin. "I saw the way that Blake Mercer was looking at you earlier." That gave me a jolt and I felt myself grow defensive.

"He wasn't looking at me in any way." I snapped, my eyelids flying open.

"Oh, he was, dear." Mike smirked, a knowing look in his eyes. "He obviously is interested in you, though I don't know what his intentions are- Look, Lacey. You're blushing like mad."

"Shut the fuck up." I retorted, willing the fire in my cheeks to subside. "What the hell does this have to do with anything?"

"I suppose you know who Tilted Reality's manager is, right?" His tone changed to something more menacing... irritated. He wasn't the only one. I was getting annoyed by the sudden jumps in topic shifts. An image of Tom flashed in my mind and I visualized the professional-looking man in the expensive suit who seemed to be the master tugging at the strings of his puppets- er, I mean his band.

I replied slowly, "We've met once, I guess. Why?"

Mike switched his gaze to the curtains blocking us from any spectators' view. He gestured for me to come closer, which I did, and as I stood beside him he pulled back the opening of the black traveler to reveal an almost empty auditorium.

Albeit, there were a few stragglers, including technicians, some remaining contestants, and the judges- who were talking to a familiar looking man. Tom.

"Listen close, Lacey. Tom and I. We have an... unsteady relationship, in simpler ways to put it."

"So you want me to be your relationship counselor? Listen, Mike, I don't swing that way so I wouldn't know shit-"

"I'm not gay." Mike snapped at me, glaring as I held my palms up in the universal sign for surrender. "Our business relationship is rocky, got it? He's not a man to be trusted; he's a cold and heartless manager who means business."