♪ Hello Cold World ♪ {16}

"It's such a cold, cold world (hello cold world)
And I can't get out,
so I'll just make the best of everything I'll never have." -Hello Cold World

Have you ever had that feeling in your gut when you've realized that everything you've worked for. . .is all gone? It's like a freight train shooting towards you but you're frozen to the spot; you're too surprised to react. You're so shocked that you don't even feel the impact. You can't even feel the pain.

How could I have forgotton that I needed Marco's signature in order to get into the competition? I've barely gotten any progress done in my master plan; how could everything backfire as quickly as it started?

There was no way in hell that my step-father would agree to the contest. Even if he didn't know that the only reason I'm joining is for escaping our home and most importantly him, if he found out I would be kept under lockdown or even worse, hurt even more.

Prodding my bruised stomach lightly, I tried not to cringe at the thought. Everyday, Marco would get less and less sober. And everyday, his actions would get stronger and stronger.

There was no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't sign it. I could always forge his signature, but that would most definitely backlash if he found papers being addressed to him when he had nothing to do with them. I could easily get caught for that shit.

And what about the music? This contest could be the start of something new. Just me, myself, and the music, right?

Think on the brightside. I told myself, walking along the grey pavement with a wistful expression on my face. My eyes were glued to the ground, counting each crack, every flaw. My black combat boots rhythmically kept an even pace, and Rev jingled with each step. Where I was headed, I didn't know. Not home, or Lakeside Park. Just anywhere to let my mind wander.

Maybe I should call the police after all; Marco would go to jail, and I would be safe for the first time in four years. But then I would also be sent to an adoption agency, crated away to different homes with a small chance of being adopted. Life would continue to be a repetition of disappointments just like it is now.

Do I really want that for myself?

And there's always that slim chance, the one sliver of hope left, that Marco would snap out of whatever he's gotten himself into and turn back into the step-father - No, the father I used to know.

It was a longshot and I knew it.

This was my only chance left. By the time the competition is over, even if Chasing Avenues didn't win, I would be eighteen. I would be a legal adult with a job (possibly), a home (possibly), and a life (hopefully). Most importantly, I would be free.

And hey, what if the band did win? Then the entire situation would be a win-win. The guys would understand why I hid everything from them. I'm not technically keeping a secret, because they don't even have to know.

But first, I had to figure out how to get permission to compete in the first place.

--

The green hues of the trees passed me by as I continued my steady journey. The sun was setting, so the sky was dotted with swirls of pink and yellow, making a beautiful sight.

After walking for what seemed like an eternity, I paused in the middle of the sidewalk with my hands in my pockets, craning my head upwards to finally look around.

Birds chirped overhead as they flew back to their nests to prepare for a good night's sleep but I remained in the same spot, realizing where I was.

"This is Xander's neighborhood..." I murmured, snapping my fingers. I remembered from when Carter, The Twins, Olivia, and I snuck into his house to do a prank on Xander.

"Quick, quick! Come on!" Olivia whispers hurriedly, finally managing to throw open Xander's bedroom window.

"Do you have it?" Amber asks, making a face as Carter produces the slimy creature out of her pocket.

The small frog lets out a croak and Caden cringes, putting a finger to his lips. "Make it shut up!"

"I can't!" Carter shoots back, widening her eyes as the frog hops out of her grasp and into the room.

"Crap!" Olive exclaims and hoists herself into the house, falling to the floor with a mute thud. "Lacey! Come help!"

I roll my eyes and climb past the windowsill, jumping into the room. It's a typical, average area with dark blue walls, a bed, TV, desk, and dresser drawer. The frog is hopping around in Xander's pile of dirty laundry.

As Amber climbs in, I see her visibly turn green. Carter and Caden follow in after her, and soon the four of us are trying to decide who will face the dirty underwear and grab the wild animal with a mean match of rock, paper, scissors.

Footsteps being heard on the other side of the door makes us all freeze up and glance at each other with panic.

"Fine, mom! I'm doing my homework already, God!" Xander's voice floats through the grain as Carter smacks her forehead and breathes, "Ooh. So close."

A half-smile flitted across my face from the memory and startled that I remembered, I quickly wiped it off.

His house was only about two miles from my own lovely apartment and I frowned, trying to remember the address. "What was it... it was 176 Cherry Lane, right?"

Confused, I wondered why I even bothered remembering where he lived. It's not like I was going to go to him for help or anything. He wouldn't know what to do. Being the goody-two-shoes that he is, he probably already got his parents to sign the form.

Wait...

I smirked deviously, "Bingo."

--

"Lacey?" Xander stared at me incredulously. His right hand pressed against the doorway and his body halfway inside and halfway out. He still hadn't changed out of his clothes from practice; I mean neither did I but these 48-hour clothes are oh-so-comfortable. Didn't catch my sarcasm there, did you?

"No, it's Santa Claus. I've come to take your cookies." I replied monotonously, sticking out my right hand for "cookie-collecting" as an added effect.

Xander gave me a pointed look before running a hand through his blue-streaked, blonde hair. "What are you doing here?"

"Huh? For once, you're not excited to see me? That's weird," I took a step towards him, extending my fist and rapping him lightly on the forehead. "Hello? I've come to speak to Xander. Can you please tell the douche standing on the doorstep to go get him? Thank you kindly."

"Lacey, stop." Xander rolled his eyes, enclosing his hand around mine and holding it for a second too long before actually letting go. "I'm just kind of surprised. You never come over. What's the big deal?"

"Can I come in?" I sighed, the evening chill finally taking its toll on me as the soft Seattle breeze ruffled my hair, making it swirl around my face. I hadn't thought to wear a jacket, and the hospital didn't give free coats away as a goodie bag treat along with the medication.

Finally realizing how much of a dick move it is to let a girl stand outside in the cold, Xander gave me a sheepish look before fully opening the door and stepping inside to let me in. I thankfully rushed into the small home and cherished the warmth, letting out a breath.

His house was quaint, mediocre, and average. Just the way I liked it. There was nothing too extravagent, and the walls were a calming shade of light peach and a beautiful shade of burgundy. The main entrance led right into the living room, where me and Xander stood currently.

"Sorry." Xander apologized but I shooed him off.

"Xander, are your parents home?" I asked, rubbing my bare arms a little as I waited for a reply.

"Yeah, they're in the kitchen. Why?" He asked suspiciously, gesturing for me to sit on one of the loveseats. I took a spot on the edge of the seat, taking out Rev to calm myself. I was going to tell another lie... and for some reason, the series of deception was starting to get to me.

Starting up a beat on the spot in front of me, ignoring Xander's weary glance at the furniture, I bit my lip and pretended to act upset. "You see, I have a problem."

Xander blanched as he took a seat on the recliner opposite from me. "Like... girl problems?" He whispered, his eyes already searching for his mom.

"No!" I retorted, my acting fading a bit as I gave him a disgusted look. But then I realized that I was supposed to be pathetic and sobbing so I quickly set a sad look on my face. "No, something to do with Chasing Avenues."

"Oh my God," Xander groaned, placing his head in his hands. "Dude, if you want to quit, then screw you. Because you're the one who dragged me into this, and I don't want to have to do this alone-"

"No, no. I don't want to quit, that's the problem!"

"Wait, rewind."

"Look, you know how I live with my dad, right? Ever since he and my mom split?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady even as it wavered a bit on the words dad and mom.

"Yeah, that's what you've told us." Xander nodded. I mentally cringed as I noticed he said us, referring to Carter, Olivia, and The Twins. He really doesn't know...

"Yeah, well today at practice I forgot to mention that he left a week ago for Spain. He had to go on a business trip, and let me alone at home, since you know, it's only about three months left until I turn eighteen. But I forgot to tell him about the contest and he didn't sign the form and-" I cut myself off, pursuing a hysterical choked sob.

"Lacey, calm down, calm down!" Xander exclaimed, falling for the bait. Hook, line, and sinker. "Look, maybe we can get my parents to sign your form. It's no big deal! Seriously, don't cry!" Ah, boys were suckers for the waterworks.

I wiped away a fake tear, and sniffled. "But Xander, they're not my parents or my legal guardian. It's against the competition rules, and possibly against the law too."

"Nobody's going to find out." Xander insisted, walking over to sit down beside me and pat my knee comfortingly. I tried not to scowl at the contact. "The FBI and crap won't ever know about it, I swear. I mean, thousands of people pirate music and movies, and they don't go to jail, right? It'll be fine."

I could tell he was only saying that to make me 'feel better' but I could see the slight hint of hesitation in his light blue gaze. For added measure to make sure he agrees, I murmured, "But your parents probably won't agree to it either."

Xander pursed his lips and I could see his reluctance before he looked over at my helpless gaze. His eyes softened and I knew that I had won. "I guess we'll just have to trick them. But are you sure you're okay with this?"

I felt the contours of a smirk lightly trace my lips, and I forced it down to remain looking like a frightened doe. Nodding my head slowly, I added, "Definitely. After all, I am a delinquent, aren't I?"

--

Dedication: MusicAndBookLover. She's like, my internet clone, I swear. We have all the same interests, hobbies, and activities. It's really scary. Plus, we live on the opposite sides from each other. I'm sensing a parallel universe in the making.

Stay lovely,
Isabelle