♪ Ignorance is Your New Best Friend ♪ {12}

"This is the best thing that could've happened
Any longer and I wouldn't have made it
It's not a war no, it's not a rapture
I'm just a person but you can't take it.

Ignorance is your new best friend." -Ignorance

I was in a good mood; and that was saying something. Walking down the hallways with a new sense of confidence surrounding me and the faintest of smiles playing on my lips, there were a few students that gazed at me with some curious and some shocked expressions.

Honestly, was I always so stoic that a simple twitch of my lips would cause an uproar? Whatever.

"Whoa, whoa. Looks like Princess is finally in a good mood," I heard a voice chuckle from behind me and at once the almost-smile faded and I spun around, rolling my eyes at Carter and Olivia. "Where's Lacey the Grouch today, miss?"

"Oh, shut up." I retorted, feeling the walls close in around me once again.

"Naw, Carter. She's still in there." Olivia smiled, skipping over to me and weaving her arm through mine. I shot daggers in her direction. Carter popped up on my other side, her skateboard in hand. Between the golden glow of Olivia's strawberry blonde locks and the burning light shining from Carter's flaming head, there was so much color that it made my head spin.

"What's got you in a fabulous mood?" Olive pipped, grinning up at me.

Could I tell them? How would they react? I pursed my lips, contemplating the situation. It seems that they were flanking me on each side, keeping me from escaping. Detention didn't start untilten minutes from now so that was no excuse. I was never early to anything, especially not detention.

"Well," I drew out, keeping my gaze level with the hallway stretching ahead in front of me. Carter quirked an eyebrow and Olivia leaned in with anticipation. "I adopted a pet mongoose, named him Charlie, and now he's gone and bitten my finger. So I'm on my way to the nurse. Now, if you'll excuse me." With that, I pryed my arm away from Olivia's and started towards the detention room. But all the blood drained from my face when Carter's hand enclosed around my wrist, keeping me from going anywhere.

Memories of Marco grabbing me roughly flashed in my eyes, and I quickly pulled my hand away, rubbing it with a small, panicked expression. I hated physical contact and at least I could tolerate it, but my hands were a whole different package. I would take broken ribs over broken wrists anyday. Why?

Because you don't need ribs to play the drums.

Something flashed in Carter's eyes and she pulled her hand away from me, cocking her head to one side slightly. Analyzing me like a specimen again. I stopped rubbing my wrist and snapped, "What?"

"Nothing." Carter smiled innocently and then conveniently switched topics. "By the way, the nurse's office is that way, you know?" She pointed in the direction opposite of where I was headed. Feeling my cheeks start to flame, I hid it by turning around and walking forwards again.

Footsteps sounding behind me told me that Olivia and Carter were right behind me. "Please, Lace. Tell us why you were all happy earlier! Curiosity is killing me!" Olive wailed, trying to catch up with my brisk pace.

Getting irritated, I whirled around again and threw my hands up in the air. "Alright, alright! I joined a band and now we're going to enter the Battle of the Bands!"

I was instantly met with Carter's gaze switching from numerous expressions. It went from shock, to confusion, and then finally settled on anger. "You're in a rock band now?" She asked with controlled fury.

"No," I deadpanned. "I joined the school marching band just this morning. Ms. Woody stocked me up with a killer new bassoon today."

"I'm serious, Lacey." Carter shook her head, narrowing her eyes on me. "Why would you finally decide to join a band now when I've tried recruiting you for Within These Cages for the past four years? That's complete bull!"

"Not really... What if I just didn't want to join your band? It's not like anybody wanted me in it." I shrugged nonchalantly. Not really understanding why she was so mad, I arched one eyebrow up.

Carter gaped at me before contorting it into a scowl. "Lace, I'm your friend! Of course I wanted you in my band. Why did you think I kept asking you?!"

"Because you didn't have a drummer to complete your spiritualevolution from pre-teen music junkie to teenage rock rebel? God, Carter. This isn't a big deal! Why are you so mad?"

"Because it's like you don't even care! If you wanted to enter the competition, you could've gone to me so that I could let you into the band. We could play together-"

"But what if I don't want to perform with you?"

Carter's face turned as red as her hair. "What is wrong with you?!" She nearly screeched, and I was thankful that the hallways were already empty. Carter better finish her rant before she misses her bus. Olivia was cowering a bit, off to the side.

"What's wrong with you?" I shouted back, feeling my own anger start to rise. What was her problem? It's not like we were alone in the haunted mansion and I decided to sacrifice her to the man-eating poltergeists!

Carter breathed in and out deeply, pointing a finger at me. "You are the problem with me, Lacey. I thought we were friends-"

And then after all of these years of holding back, I finally stated bluntly in a calm voice, "Who said you were my friend?"

Her mouth opened and closed like a fish out of the ocean as she tried to think of a good comeback. But Carter knew she lost as her eyes started to water.

"Carter..." Olivia started for her but Carter yanked her arm out of Olivia's grasp.

"You know what, Carson?" Carter hissed, her voice cracking.

"Oh, so now we're on a last name basis. That's cool, LaTourette."

"Would you just fucking shut up for once?! This has gone too far. Don't think I hadn't noticed, Carson. But this," She pointed at my body to which I took a step back in suspicion. "This isn't the real you. The snide comebacks, rude remarks... It's just your defense mechanism. You're hiding something. I've been trying to figure out what. But this... this was too far even for you."

I forced myself to look cool and collected, as if her words didn't affect me. But inside, I was panicking so much I thought I would get an aneurysm. How did she know? I was a damn good actress; no one had ever figured out that much of me.

Carter glared me straight in the eyes, two tears escaping her eyes. "One day, Carson. One day, you'll realize that what you're doing is wrong. And I swear it; that day will come when my band kicks your band's ass in the competition. You can count on it."

Swiping a hand across her eyes, she turned in the direction of the exits and stormed off, not caring about school rules and jumping onto her skateboard, skating away. I watched her until she disappeared around the corner and my eyes focused in on Olivia who stood a few feet away from me.

She stared at me; I stared at her.

"Please don't tell me that what you said was true." She whimpered, taking a step back. When I didn't respond, her eyes widened a fraction of an inch as her lips quavered."L-Lacey. Were you just messing with us? Were any of us actually your friends? Carter, me, Caden, Amber... Xander?"

Again, I didn't repond as my argument with Carter finally sunk into my mind. Instantly the feelings of guilt were too overwhelming and my backpack slipped off my shoulder, landing on the ground with a loud thud. Neither of us flinched.

"...Fine." Olivia's soft voice cut through the tense silence. "I guess I know your answer."

I couldn't hear her; my heart was drumming so loudly that it was nearly deafening in my ears. What had I done? What did I say? I started to hyperventilate, clutching my heart.

"I guess this is goodbye, Lacey." I glanced up to see Olivia's pained expression.

"Olive-"I called out weakly, willing her to stay. I didn't mean it. I didn't mean anything! I wanted to shout but the words wouldn't come out. And then I realized with sick clarity, that thosethoughts were nothing more than empty lies. Everything I said was true, as horrible as they were. And I hated myself for it.

Slumping down to the ground, a new pain from my stomach cut me open as I landed and I winced, holding both my arms to it. It hurt so much more, now that my happy numbness faded and reality sunk in.

Olivia just looked at me with a morose expression before turning on her heels and running down the hallway to catch up Carter, leaving me broken, confused, and guilty on the ground.

--

Detention came and went; I ignored Xander the entire time. I just couldn't bare to face him after my conversation with Carter and Olivia. It was too soon. And if I didn't focus enough on trying to keep up my facade, I would've probably ended up a wrecked ball of mess on the floor.

My stomach was killing me and as I exited the school doors, I stopped in my tracks, reeling over in pain. Gritting my teeth, I tried to step forward but my eyes watered with the effort and eventually I just stood there, doubled over as I tried to regain my breath.

Karma's a bitch, they say. And it really is. Both Carter and Olivia's pained expressions kept flashing in my mind, making the tears of pain morph in with the tears of distress.

"Sturm!" I heard the familiar voice, making me wearily glance up towards the sidewalk where the voice was heard. Blake's cheerful demeanor and friendly wave instantly faded as he took in my disheveled appearance. I didn't reply and just ducked my head to the ground again, closing my eyes and tightening my grip on the staircase's railings.

I heard the sounds of panicked running until I felt a warm hand on my sweaty forehead. "Oh my God, Sturm. What happened?" He asked, concern lacing his low voice.

So many things have happened, Harnage. I wanted to tell him. Despite the fact that I had only known him for about two days, I wanted to tell him everything. I wanted someone, anyone to understand.

But instead, I muttered, "from the fall" as the pain enveloped me and blackness tugged at my eyes. The last thing I felt before I slipped into unconsciousness was the feeling of being lifted into the air, and the slow steady rhythm of Blake's heartbeat.

--

Dedicated to jules130 because she's another one of my favorite Wattpad authors of all time. I love her stories, "Playing Evelyn" and "Rock Prodigy."

Stay lovely,
Isabelle