My nervousness must have been obvious because Russell told me to chill and get out of the truck. He came around to the other side and opened the door but in my stubbornness, I refused to get out.

“Come on, Red. I told you you wouldn't get hurt.”

“Yeah, I know.” I said, glaring at him. “Yet you still won't tell me what's inside there. All you said were a couple people but who are they?”

He sighed and shifted his feet, a nervous habit.

“You'll know everything soon. Pretty much as soon as you get in there, I promise.”

I sighed.

How can I trust his promises? But then again, how can I not? He hasn't done anything malicious or creepy since I woke up...in the back of his truck. Well I guess that doesn't really count though. He said I would protected...and with that, he seemed protective.

“Fine.” I slid my legs out and the tips of of my toes brushed against his leg. I held the orange soda to my chest and stepped all the way out, our bodies brushing against each other. Since I was so so short, I had to look up at him to see his face.

He wasn't smiling but he did look relieved.

“Let's go.” He grabbed the sleeve of the jacket I was wearing and walked us toward the door. He casually opened it and continued forward. My whole body seized with anticipation and my legs felt shaky. The room around us was big, a couple couches around, a lot of bookshelves, a television, and a large coffee table, piled with miscellaneous things. On one side of the room, there was a large glass window, viewing the lake. I felt sick and at home at the same time. My shoulders tensed.

“It's okay.” he whispered in my ear. Then much louder: “Marian?”

“Russ?” I heard an elegant female voice ask, coming from another room. I heard a lot of shuffling and a couple of voices.

“We're in the kitchen!” She yelled back to us, not expecting an answer.

“Of course you are.” Russell smiled,a soft, genuine one. Still gripping the end of the jacket, he led me toward another room that looked like a supply space, and into a kitchen.

I didn't exactly know what to expect when he took me here

But this wasn't it.

There were two people in the room. One guy and one girl. The girl was sitting down, a book opened and resting beside a plate. The book looked old and worn as if countless amounts of people had read it over time.

The guy was cooking something my nose couldn't identify, standing in front of a stove with a pot on it. They both looked up when we walked in, locking their eyes on me, both filled with a strange sort of wonder.

“Hey, Marian.” Russell said, plopping down in the chair next to the girl. She had black, wavy hair that went a little past her chin and bright almost aqua eyes.

“Hey.” She smiled warmly at him and switched her eyes back to me. “Amber? That's your name, right?” She glanced back at the other guy in the room and beckoned him forward.

“Yes.” I said, twisting my ankle nervously.

“I'm Marian.” She gestured at herself and then to the guy. “This is Lucius.”

“Hey.” Lucius stepped forward and grabbed my hand. A small shock hit me and I looked up at him. He had dark, brown hair and brown eyes flecked with green and gold. He was kinda gorgeous. I smiled. The small buzz in our hands told me one thing. Like Russell, I felt that we were connected. But a bit less intense.