Chapter 9

Chapter 9

When I woke up in the late afternoon, I decided to get some more fresh air. I walked outside and blocked my eyes with my hands so I could look around. It was pretty cloudy but the sun had peeked through and blinded me. I jumped off the porch and started walking along the dirt path leading toward the left of the house. Exploring seemed like a good idea since I was avoiding my 'training'. Especially since it was Russell's turn today. It was exciting and nerve wreaking at the same time, the compete opposite of Lucius's training. Lucius and I were becoming great friends. He reminded me of Elliot and it was really easy to get along with him.

I kicked a couple of rocks out of the way toward the smallest barn. I think Lucius told me it was empty but I wasn't sure. There's like....seven barns, it's hard to keep up.

When I reached out to push it open, I heard a loud, defeated sigh come from the back. I furrowed my eyebrows and walked around to find a frustrated Marian.

Her short dark hair was bound back by a rubber band, creating the tiniest ponytail. She was sitting criss cross on top of a huge, old wagon. Her hands and her face were toward the sky, the sun's rays hitting her pale face as her eyebrows scrunched together in deep concentration. She sighed again in the same frustrated way and then opened her eyes and looked at me.

My face flushed, guilty for not revealing my presence sooner. She slowly brought her hands down and placed them in her lap while softly smiling.

“Hey, Amber.” Her smile faltered. “Or did you want me to call you Blaze? I heard Russell call you that the other day and he said it was your nickname in your school.”

“Oh I guess it doesn't really matter.” I shook my hands in the air and walked closer to her. “It's different for everyone.”

“Right.” She gave a short laugh. “That must be confusing.”

“Yeah.” I gave a half smile and hopped down on the wagon.

“So what were you trying to do?” I asked curiously. I've never seen her frustrated or angry before.

“Oh, that.” She glanced up at the sky. “I'm trying to make it rain.”

“Rain? You can actually do that!?” I straightened up. If she could go as far as make it rain, I wonder what I could do...

“Not yet. I'm trying.” She tilted her head up and looked at the clouds. A small smile formed on her face and she looked back down at me.

“Did Russ ever tell you when we tried to make a tornado?”

“No!” I said, completely in awe. “Did it ever work out?”

She looked amused at my excitement.

“Not really. I'm not as advanced as him so it just ended up being a weak and slightly moist dust devil.” She rolled her eyes.

“But that still must be pretty awesome!” I bit my lip and smoothed my red hair. “Russ and Lucius told me that I'd be able to create fire.” I said, looking at her. “Do you think so?”

“Oh I know you can.” She grinned. “And soon you'll be able to do something like this.” She spread her hand out in front of her so it was in view. Then her hand, turned into water. Not immediately. At first it became somewhat transparent and then it turned clear. Water was dripping down the wagon. She turned her hand again to show that she could move it.

“That's amazing!” I busted out, tempted to grab her hand.

I was absolutely amazed by this.

Her arm slowly turned to normal.