Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A cool chill crossed the school grounds and I smiled into it. There was nothing better than a windy day during the spring. Even though I barely got any sleep the night before I was still a little excited to get back to school. I adjusted the strap on my bag and walked toward the double doors. Our school looked like every other school but no one cared what you wore as long as it wasn't a bikini bottom and pasties.

“Blaze!” A shrill voice called from the side. I turned to see Ellen, my crazier best friend, hop toward me. I grinned.

“Cutting it a little close to that dress code aren't you?” I teased. She was wearing a peek-a-boo lime green halter with a black skirt.

“Please, what dress code?” She pulled back the strap on my black tank top and let it go with a small snap. I laughed. It was so true. The teachers and principle didn't care what so ever about the things we wore. It was like those schools on the T.V that you always wanted to go to. Except our academics were poor and the entire school looked like it was covered in grease. That's what I get for begging to go to a public school I guess. My area in Santa Barbara was usually filled with a bunch of rich kids but the schools were a different story. You could either go to a snooty private school or a public school that looked like a fast food restaurant.

“Ughh where did Spring Break go?” She whined. I patted her shoulder.

“Where you left it when you were getting drunk and high with our senior class.” I responded chidingly. She pouted.

“But it was fun.” She gave me a small, guilty smile. I returned it and put an arm around her.

“It's not a new year but we can start fresh if you want. Let's find a couple guys, make them fall in love with us, then chew 'em up and spit 'em out. That's always fun.” I said sarcastically. I doubted I would even be capable of that. Her face brightened as if it was the most genius thing she'd ever heard.

“Now THAT sounds like a plan. Plus I hear there's a new guy.” I frowned. This late in the year?

“Are you sure it's a guy?” I asked. She gave me a sideways look.

“I have a single guy radio the size of Kentucky, Blaze. Of course it's a guy.” I didn't really understand what that meant but...whatever. She grinned and tugged me toward the side of the school. My name wasn't really Blaze. It was Amber. That's just what a few choice people called me. Ellen started it one night when she was completely drunk and staring at my red hair.

“First bell hasn't rung and I need a smoke.” Ellen said, pulling out a pack and bringing one to her lips.

“Lighter?” I pulled mine out and switched it on for her. I didn't have one because I smoked but I always loved lighters, candles, matches. There was something about fire that I was dangerously attracted to.

She lit it up and leisurely leaned against the wall. I closed the lighter and pulled out my new book, hoping to get lost in it but Ellen wouldn't quite talking. I sighed and pulled my unusual red hair behind my ear. No one ever believed it was real until they saw my baby pictures. It was just that red. It also didn't add up since I had absolutely no freckles, blemishes, pimples, or scars. Though I did have a heart shaped birthmark on my right shoulder. It was something, not that I was complaining about the clear skin. I yawned, having only a couple of hours of sleep the night before.

“You think I should get a tattoo?” Elle asked while bringing the cigarette to her lips. I looked up from the pages and examined her medium length brunette hair and chocolate brown eyes. Her newly tanned skin glowed in a way that you would of though she had put on a small layer tanning oil. It actually looked really good on her.