John Marston: Art Show

Start from the beginning

"Has to be Roman" John played along, pretending to know what he was talking about.

"Are you kidding? It's Greek! Just look at it!" you exclaimed, earning a dirty look from the couple. "Come on, let's go find that artist friend of yours" you laughed, tugging on John's arm.

He smiled at you before you both walked into a room where framed paintings were being displayed. "He has a...style, doesn't he?" you hummed, looking at all the paintings.

"Sure. If other men's wives are a style" John nodded, making you laugh. "C'mon, here he is" he placed a hand between your shoulder blades and guided you towards the man on the other side of the room.

"Ah, Monsieur Marston, you came! And you brought a friend, wonderful" the artist smiled, holding his arms out slightly as he greeted you both.

"Y/n L/n" you introduced yourself as you held your hand out for him to shake.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful woman" he complimented as he took your hand in his. "Charles Châtenay" he introduced himself before bringing your hand up to his lips, kissing your knuckles.

John didn't even realise it at first but he was glaring a hole into the side of the artist's head, luckily neither of you seemed to notice. You just smiled politely at the man before taking your hand back.

"I ain't much of an art critic but I don't think your paintings are as bad as some seem to be saying. I'd even say they are rather good" you told him kindly, even if you didn't know much about art at all.

"That's very kind of you to say, mon cher. But the best art is what provokes emotion, gets a reaction...so I suppose my pieces to get that, even if it be negative" Charles sighed.

"Isn't that a strong emotion? I'd say you're doing just fine" you assured him.

"Monsieur Marston, you're friend is an absolute delight, you should have introduced us sooner" Charles turned to John with a smile.

"I wonder what I was thinking" John mumbled sarcastically.

"Now, forgive me for being so forward but I must ask you something" Charles turned back to you and placed his hands on your arms, getting your attention. "Have you ever considered modelling? I'd love to study you, you'd be a wonderful subject to paint" he asked you, definitely taking you by surprise.

"She ain't interested" John answered quickly and sternly. If his other paintings were anything to go by, John knew exactly what type of modelling the artist wanted you to do.

"Let the lady speak for herself" Charles chastised. "Some men, they just have no manners" he shook his head, looking back at you. "So what do you say? Would you ever consider modelling for me?" he asked with a smile that you were sure some would consider charming.

"That's very kind but I'm no model" you shook your head and gently pushed his hands away.

"Please tell me you'll think on it?" Charles pleaded.

"I'll think about it but I'm confident my answer will stay the same" you nodded, not really planning on reconsidering the offer.

"Very well" Charles sighed, thankfully giving up.

"Excuse me, Mr Châtenay..." a woman interrupted, walking over to the artist. The three of you turning to her. "...couldn't you have painted some drawers on her?" she asked, pointing at one of the painting on the other side of the room.

"Madame, I paint her in her natural state..." the artist claimed as he crossed the room with the woman, towards the portrait she had been talking about, "...as she was and will be in paradise."