"We're docked at this island to make repairs," she responded. "Jade tasked me with keeping an eye on you, then showing you around the island once you reappeared. I'm Leigh Anne, by the way."

Perrie nodded, accepting Leigh Anne's handshake. "Perrie," she said after a minute. "But, you probably already knew that."

"Yeah," Leigh Anne admitted. "But it's all good. Want me to give you the island tour?"

Even though Perrie would have much rather gone back to sleep, she reluctantly allowed Leigh Anne to lead her onto land. The feeling shocked her, for she was used to the gentle bobbing of the waves as they sailed.

"I know, it caught me off guard when I landed, too," Leigh Anne said, walking off the small beach and onto a crudely paved path. "Come on, this is the way into town."

As they walked, Perrie learned more about the island they were on. Named Amber Island, the private beach beyond the hills outside of the main town produces large amounts of amber. Because of the island's main source of income being selling said amber, the island was named after it. 

"How long do you think we'll stay here?" Perrie asked, looking around at the lively town in appreciation. She noticed, with a frown, that more than a few people shrunk away or threw her and Leigh Anne dirty looks. Despite Johnny always teasing her for being too soft to be a pirate, she couldn't help but try to get along with everyone.

Johnny. Oh, Caitlin.

Perrie felt a wave of grief surge up inside of her, so strong it threatened to sweep her into its tide. Rather than allow herself to be overcome she swallowed and focused on the horizon for a moment, counting backward from 10. 

"Perrie?"

She blinked then registered Leigh Anne a few feet ahead of her. "Sorry," she said, hurrying to catch up. "Was thinking about my crew."

Leigh Anne's expression immediately fell, and Perrie regretted voicing her thoughts. 

"Anyways, how long do you think we'll stay here?" She asked, effectively cutting off any apology or otherwise sympathetic sentiments Leigh Anne was going to say. She started walking again, Leigh Anne hastening to follow. 

"Well, we always stay longer than expected," Leigh Anne said, snorting. "Jade likes to say we'll only be docked here for one night, but it's usually closer to a week. Especially with all the repairs, we could be looking at almost a month here."

Perrie nodded. "Jade did mention something about getting a good night's sleep," she mused. "I suppose we'll be getting more than one good nights' sleep."

Leigh Anne snorted again. "That's for sure," she replied. "Jade will be sleeping very well, I bet."

Perrie wrinkled her brow in confusion. "What's that supposed to mean?" She asked.

"Well, Jade has a certain reputation with the men and women on this island," Leigh Anne responded. "If you catch my drift."

Perrie immediately nodded, falling silent. She chose to ignore the way her stomach dropped at Leigh Anne's last statement. After all, she'd only known Jade for like, a day. Besides, Jade was a grown woman. She was free to do whatever she pleased. 

Still, it didn't stop the pit in her stomach from growing when she noticed Jade flirting with a girl a few feet away in the town square.

--

The days passed slowly. Most mornings found Perrie waking violently from a nightmare, covered in sweat and breathing heavily. After a few nights of trying to sleep aboard the ship, she gave into Jade's persistent begging and moved into the room next to the captain's in the inn. After a few nights of being kept up by Jade's rather loud ... companions, Perrie requested a room change, one that the innkeeper immediately obliged with. Perrie didn't miss the way his hand shook as he wrote out her new room assignment, so she made sure to pay him a generous thank-you.