04 | ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE IN DA HOUSE

Start from the beginning

Taking one deep breath, he says, "He told me, 'Colt, you know, there is this spark in your eyes when you play the sport which shows the love you have for it. So, Colten Dias, always follow your heart. Always.'..."

"Yeah, he saw your match just that weekend and was so mesmerized that he couldn't stop talking about how you played..." I tell him, smiling.

"That was the moment I decided that I will be a football player..." Then, he takes another deep breath and says, "UCLA is interested in me, Iris." I look at him, surprised, as he looks back at me.

"Oh goodness, really? Really?" I say, hugging him.

"Yeah..." He says, hugging me back.

"But, why is that bothering you? You are the best quarterback in the city, Colt! And, you wanted to go to UCLA..."

"Yeah, I just wanted Grandpa to be here so I could have..." He trails off as I go silent. I know exactly how he feels; the wish of him being here.

"Especially, with his death anniversary coming up..." I say, keeping my head on his shoulder. Suddenly, I feel the urge of crying as I take a deep breath but I just can't hold it back.

"I miss him, Colt," I tell him, crying, as he rubs my back.

"Me too, Iris. Me too." He says, looking up at the sky.

*** 

Thoughts of last night revolve in my mind; how Grandpa was such an important piece in my heart that when he passed away, it felt like that piece ripped off from my heart. He was not only an important part of my life but in Colt's and Caleb's lives too. I was just closer to him so, maybe, I think the news hit me hard and till now, I can't believe it.

As I return from my morning jogging, I see mom sitting in the dining room with her head down, wearing her unicorn pajamas – pajamas she has reserved for her sick days.

"Oh god, not the unicorn pajamas!" I rush towards her as she hums in reply.

"Mom? Are you okay? Oh, what I am asking? Of course, she isn't, Iris!" I facepalm at my stupidity as I look around for a trace of my dad but none to be found."Mom, Did dad – ah!!"

I jump away from her as mom lifts her head – actually a zombie's head, I think. The whole face is sickeningly green and, now, some gooey stuff is dropping from the nose.

Calming myself, I say, "Okay, I really hope this isn't some kind of a joke but, really, mom, you look green... Uh, Dad? You know this is time you hear my scream and – ah!"

Suddenly, someone puts their hands on my shoulder and upon turning, I see another zombie-faced person tilting I-don't-know-the-gender-of-this-zombie face. As the zombie nears, I elbow the zombie and go away near the –

wait, why there's a camera in the opened cabinet?

As if on cue, both of the creatures start to laugh. Actually, only one of them is laughing while the other is half laughing, one-fourth grunting, and one-fourth cursing.

"Oh, this should be one of the best home videos we have ever made." The laughing zombie says with a bit of an English accent.

"Mom." I groan out, looking at her in surprise as she wipes off her face with some wet tissues kept on the dining table. Then, I look at the cursing zombie who definitely is her loving husband aka my dad.

"It definitely would be your idea, right, Dad? Mom, I can't believe you supported him!" I huff out, crossing my arms over my chest but apparently, they are ignoring my rant.