Your Idiocy Fascinates Me

Chapter Sixteen: Your Idiocy Fascinates Me

Despite the girls’ opinion that the poems and the gifts are rather flattering and harmless, a paranoid part of me remains unconvinced, but so far, I agree that I have more important things to focus on; the person who murdered Ben.

I spend most of the day absentminded as my mind is focused on Sam’s absence. I find myself peering into classrooms in hopes of catching sight of his golden hair and unmistakeable violet eyes, but all my attempts prove futile.

His absence is noticed also by the rest of the school and whispers fly into my ears as people come up with the most absurd theory as to why he’s absent.

I am all too pleased when the bell that signifies the start of lunch break is heard as I know I can finally hang out with Cherry and the girls. So far, they happen to be the least drama prone group and hanging out with them is like breathing in fresh air in a school where everyone seems to have a high affinity for drama.

As I pack my books into my backpack, I am stopped by my maths teacher who beckons me over. I watch the other students leave the class before I walk up to her.

“You need me for anything?” I inquire and she smiles sadly at me.

“I noticed you were absentminded today. Bells, with everything that has been going on in your life, no one’s expecting you to…” She stops and takes in a deep breath. “You know the counsellor’s office is always open to students.”

I bite on my lip to keep myself from groaning hard. While I know she simply has my best interest at heart, I know that there is just no point in seeing a counsellor if I am just going to withhold information.

What am I expected to tell him? ‘My cousin was murdered and I know this because the Devil told me so. And by the way, I struck a deal with said Devil which may as well lead to the damnation of my soul, and I did it to seek justice for someone who was terrible to me whilst alive. Yes! Even the Devil thinks I’m absolutely moronic for that.’

I’m sure that would end up with me locked up in a psychiatric ward.

“Thanks, ma’am. I’ll keep that in mind.” I force a smile which I’m sure looks more like a grimace and reluctantly, she nods. “Bye!”

I find the girls seated in the far end of the cafeteria. Nat is on her phone as usual, completely disregarding Cherry who is chatting animatedly. Audrey is the one who notices me. She nudges Cherry who stops talking and waves enthusiastically at me, signalling me over.

I grin at them and am about to make my way through the sea of students to them, but I am stopped by a hand around my wrist. I turn to find Trixie grinning at me and I internally groan at her.

“I’m so delighted to see you!” She links her hand in mine and drags me off towards her usual spot which is considerably far away from my friends.  Cherry passes me a questioning look and I shrug, letting my expression paint my confusion.

I find myself standing before a table with a couple of other girls who are chatting about things I’m sure I won’t find fascinating. When Trixie clears her throat though, the chatter dies and they turn to us.

Some are staring at me with baffled expressions and I don’t blame them. I am usually bullied by Trixie and her pals, so seeing her acting all chummy with me is totally strange. Others glare at me, making their unmerited hatred for me known, and a few just watch with mild curiosity.

“Girls, you all are to treat Bells here the same way you’d treat me. She’s one of us now,” Trixie makes it known and murmuring breaks out. Murmurs which she ignores as she sits beside Tiffany and another girl I recognize as Nat’s cousin Carrie, and she pulls me down so I am right by her.