It's Both Adorable And Pathetic

Chapter Thirty-Seven: It's Both Adorable And Pathetic

°°°

"Why is your facial expression that way? Are you constipating?"

Sam raises a brow at me and with a heavy sigh, I lift a hand to rub at my forehead. Total exhaustion washes over me and I feel my legs buckle beneath me. Sam however is quick to catch me before I can fall to the ground.

"Now is not the time to play damsel in distress, dear Bells." Sam chuckles lightly under his breath, and with his hand around my arm, he leads me down the street.

My eyes sweep the quiet and lonely road in search of his white Mercedes, but it's nowhere in sight.

As my feet kick against the gravelled ground, I take in the other houses which all have their lights turned off as normal people are asleep by this time. The road in itself is dark, illuminated dimly by the dying streetlights, but I don't feel threatened as Sam is beside me.

There's no greater predator than the Devil himself.

"Where's your car?" I query, not in the mood to walk all the way back to Cherry's.

Sam hums and spares me a brief glance. His expression is somewhat unreadable and for a moment, I am sure he is going to ignore my question, but he seems to decide there is no harm in responding.

"It's back in my garage. I would have never gotten here in time if I drove. The dang thing is way too slow." Sam shakes his head. "Raphael had me chasing penguins with him in Antarctica. For someone who has been alive for eons, he sure acts like a child with playful curiosity towards mortal things."

Samael rolls his eyes, but I don't miss the fond smile that graces his lips at the thought of his brother. It seems as though Raphael indeed makes him happy.

I think back to his confession after my outburst. "I was beaten up by my own family and tossed out of my home..."

"You're really on good terms with Raphael." I stare up at him and immediately the question leaves my mouth, the fond smile on his face drops and Sam is back to his usual impassive expression.

"He helped me heal after the riot. He's just one of those happy-go-lucky Angels no one can hate. Even Azrael cracks a smile whenever Raph is around, and let me tell you, Az never smiles. Enough of me and my siblings though, how have you been doing?" He casually dismisses the topic.

I know for a fact he's ending the conversation not because he necessarily cares about my feelings, but because he wants to stop talking about how much his family means to him. I decide not to push it. For now.

"I've been okay," I answer, but Sam shakes his head at me.

"I could feel your agony all the way from Hell. I know for a fact that you cried a lot, hence the dark circles around your eyes. My absence has left you quite miserable. It's both adorable and pathetic. It's almost as though you cannot properly function on an emotional level without me."

I groan out at Sam's bluntness, but choose to say nothing.

We arrive at the park situated at the end of the road and Sam ushers me in. My arm still in his grasp, he leads me to the bench that overlooks the pond, then he pulls me down so I am sitting beside him. When he is certain I am not about to fall, he lets go of my arm.

"Why did you come here?" I ask him.

"Because, dear Bells, you called for me," is his short response which further creates doubt in my head.