Sixteen

Molly must have been even drunker that Alex had thought, because by the time she came back into the room, the girl was passed out on the bed, curled into a ball with her drink still cradled in her arms. Her hair draped over her shoulders and around her cheekbones framing her face beautifully. The artificial candlelight in the room flickered, bringing out the blonde streaks in her brown hair. Her long lashes were so dark against her pale skin. Alex shook her head. She shouldn't be looking.

Carefully, so as not to wake her up, she pulled the glass out of her hands and placed it onto the bedside table, then grabbed a blanket and laid it over her gently. "Goodnight." She whispered, kissing her gently on the forehead. After making sure the TV and everything were turned off, Alex left the room. Downstairs, she grabbed a chocolate bar from the back of the freezer where her mother always hid them. Outside, the sky was dark, barely a star in the sky. The cloudiness of the night only served to make her already creepy looking garden even more frightening. Too many dark places for someone to hide.

Shivering, she double checked whether the doors and windows were locked, and if the alarm was on. All clear. She didn't get like this all the time, usually only when her mom was out of town, and she had no friends over. But today her heart was already full of unexplained tension, so she knew she was going to be on edge a while. Upstairs, hidden away in the guest bedroom eating her chocolate bar, trying to calm her nerves, she checked her phone.

A missed call from her mom. What could that be about? The call was from hours ago, and she wasn't sure her mom was still awake so she just sent a quick text.

Sorry I missed your call. Everything alright?

She'd forgotten how cold the guest room could get. It felt like someone pouring ice water on her skin. She curled up tightly under the blanket, hoping it would warm up soon. The bed smelled of Molly's perfume. She'd forgotten to change the sheets. She didn't know when it happened, but at some point she warmed up, and fell asleep surrounded by the strangely comforting scent.

***
Sorry for disappearing, I started back at college so things were chaotic for a bit. I'm hoping to be able to update at least once a week from now on.