Ten

They were out of popcorn.

"Mom!" She called up the stairs. "Did you forget to do the shopping again?" Even as she waited for a response, she eyed the cupboard for other hidden snacks she could have. She was about to pull out a pack of tucks and make her mom some tea when she realised the house was too quiet. She could hear her own breathing, along with the gentle buzz of the light above the oven. Her mom always forgot to turn that off. With a sigh, Alex flicked the switch on the light before heading upstairs.

"Mom? It's like eleven o'clock. You shouldn't be sleeping in this late." She knocked hesitantly on the door to her mothers room, her stomach aching. Not again. When she got no response, she opened the door. And there, in the middle of the bed, was a note. She knew what it said before even looking at it. Her mom was off on some surprise business trip again, and somehow had no time to tell her. "I guess I'll be doing the shopping again..." She muttered bitterly to herself. It didn't take much to say a quick goodbye. Or leave the note somewhere more visible.

How long was it this time? She wondered, picking up the note. A few days? A week? She unfolded the paper and looked at it in horror. A month?