Three

Her ears burned with the biting cold as she walked up Main Street. Most of the shops around her were still closed. Only the bakeries and a couple cafes opened this early. She popped her head into Molly's Cafe, the bell on the door jingling as she did. Closing the door behind her, she felt the sudden warmth strange against her skin. Molly herself was behind the counter, setting up for the day. The glass display was only half full of pastries. "Large mocha and a scone." Molly said, without looking up.

"You know me well." She nodded, wrapping her arms around herself trying to warm up. She sat by the window, looking out onto the empty street. One by one, more shops lights were turning on, but most wouldn't be open for another hour. The world was still quiet. She pulled her headphones out of her bag and put them on, playing her favourite chill playlist on her phone. She barely noticed when her order was placed on the table in front of her. She nodded with a soft smile. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." Molly replied, already halfway across the room. She sipped gently at her drink, her mind clear, unable to hold a thought for long. Absentmindedly breaking a chunk off her scone and popping it into her mouth, she watched as someone she didn't recognise walked briskly through the town, looking left and right, looking for something. Wearing a big winter coat, she couldn't tell immediately whether it was a man or a woman. Then their eyes locked. Or she thought they did. She wasn't sure if they could see her through the glare on the glass.

They moved then, and the moment ended. She looked down, her eyes heavy, brain going slow. The music in her ears was soft and melancholy, matching her mood. Popping another chunk of scone into her mouth, she looked up just in time to see the door open again, and hear the distinctive jingle of the bell.

The stranger in the coat had come in.