Thirteen

Alex looked over at Molly, who was now a quarter of the way through her bottle of gin. She was fairly concerned about this, given they were only an hour into their movie, and she had been drinking it straight, despite being offered tonic. It also didn't bode well that she was swigging it straight from the bottle, with a dead look in her eyes. They hadn't spoken much since she'd got there, but Alex could already tell her speech was slightly slurred. She picked up the controller and paused the movie. Molly turned to her, eyebrows raised.

"What's up?" She asked, confused. Alex took a deep breath, hoping this wouldn't go down badly.

"Don't you think you should uh, slow down a little?" Molly looked down at her bottle and flinched, a movement so fast that Alex almost felt like she'd imagined it.

"Oh uh, is this weird? My bad. Here," she said, closing the bottle and handing it over, "Take this. I'm gonna focus on my ice cream." Alex decided it was best not to comment on the rush of redness that had spread across her face and neck. She slid the bottle out of the way under the bed, putting her own beside it. She wanted to say more, start a proper conversation, but she didn't know how, so she just laughed it off. 

"Don't worry about it, I've had my moments. Just can't have either of us getting sick in the bathroom. My mom would kill me." This was only a half lie. Her mom would kill her, if she were around to notice. But she was not getting into that right now. And since when did her head hurt? It was all achy and gross.

It was then that she realised that Molly wasn't the only one who was a little tipsy. She hadn't had a drink in a long time, and her tolerance was clearly gone. Embarrassed, she made a mental note to try hard to hide it. After pressing play again on the movie, she grabbed her spoon and dug into her ice cream, hoping to look at least somewhat normal. This was gonna be a long night.