88

Chapter Eighty-eight

Ling Miao glanced carefully at the driver but couldn’t see anything. Su Yuyang’s mom saw Ling Miao’s actions through the rearview mirror and smiled faintly. “Xiao Miao, if you’re tired, go on sleeping.”

Ling Miao’s heart skipped a beat and he inwardly grieved: Ah, I definitely haven’t left a good impression on Su Yuyang’s mom. I hope she doesn’t give me and Su Yuyang a hard time because of this.

Su Yuyang saw Ling Miao’s troubled expression and inexplicably wanted to have a little fun with him, so he made a show of sighing: “Xiao Miao, don’t worry.”

“What do I have to worry about?” Ling Miao said stubbornly.

Su Yuyang took a deep breath and slowly moved his gaze to look out the window. Now Ling Miao was even more worried. Su Yuyang smiled as he gazed out the window: Ling Miao’s reaction had once again proved that Ling Miao cared about him, and that strengthened his resolve to keep walking down this road with Ling Miao.

Ling Miao carefully scooted over to Su Yuyang’s side and poked Su Yuyang’s waist. Su Yuyang turned and asked, “What is it?”

Ling Miao leaned close to Su Yuyang’s ear and said, “Su Yuyang, did I make your mom mad?”

“No.” Su Yuyang shifted into a more comfortable position. He faced Ling Miao and put a hand on Ling Miao’s shoulders, pressing down slightly to indicate to Ling Miao that he could relax. Ling Miao’s forehead was deeply furrowed and he said softly, “Su Yuyang, your mom doesn’t answer me much, and she doesn’t look at me in too friendly a manner. I…”

“You can see her eyes?” Su Yuyang cut straight through Ling Miao’s wild imagination. “When we eat you’ll find out whether she’s satisfied with you or not. Also, later, don’t call her Big Sis.”

As Su Yuyang said the last bit he couldn’t contain his laughter any more. Ling Miao’s face instantly reddened and he tried to explain: “I… I really didn’t know she was your mom…”

“Don’t say ‘your mom’ later, either.” Su Yuyang cut Ling Miao off and reminded: “Don’t call her big sis, or aunt, or auntie, or ‘your mom’ or ‘Su Yuyang’s mother’ or ‘Su’s mom.’”

“Then what do I call her?” Ling Miao’s frown grew even deeper. The furrows in his forehead looked like they had been carved with a knife. Su Yuyang instructed: “Aside from what I just mentioned, what do you think you can call her?”

“Po-po?”¹

“Po-po?” Su Yuyang looked at Ling Miao in astonishment, terror on his face. Ling Miao asked in trepidation, “No?”

“Ha ha!” Su Yuyang pounded the car seat, exhilaration on his face. “Ah, Mom, did you hear Xiao Miao? He wants to call you Po-po!”

Ling Miao kicked Su Yuyang in frustration and whined, “What are you laughing about? If I can’t call her Po-po, what can I call her?”

“No, no, no!” Su Yuyang couldn’t stop laughing. “Calling her Po-po is fine—my mom’s happy! Can’t you tell the car’s going much faster?”

“I…” Ling Miao looked at Su Yuyang clutching his sides with laughter and suddenly understood how he’d tickled Su Yuyang.

Grandma and mother-in-law were not the same thing!

Clearly, Su Yuyang had interpreted it differently than Ling Miao had meant it. In other words, Ling Miao had trapped himself.

Actually, it wasn’t really a trap.