71

Chapter Seventy-one

Ling Miao realized he’d said the wrong thing and haughtily turned back to the stage. Su Yuyang brushed his thumb over his lips, his smile growing gradually more bitter.

Ji Linxi had already handed the flower to Yan Li, but Ling Miao had missed her reaction. He pouted in frustration and glared murderously at Su Yuyang.

On the stage, Ji Linxi stood smiling awkwardly. Ling Miao listened to the chatter all around and knew Ji Linxi had made a faux pas, but he didn’t know what Ji Linxi had done. He glanced at Su Yuyang and huffed: “You made me miss a show!”

Su Yuyang looked at Ling Miao like he was an idiot and reminded: “Ling Miao, you can watch the rerun on TV tomorrow.”

“Mm? Is it broadcasting live today?”

“Like you don’t know.” Su Yuyang shook his head. He really wanted to write the words ‘dumb cat’ on Ling Miao’s forehead.

His intelligence snubbed by Su Yuyang, Ling Miao didn’t argue further. Who knows whether Su Yuyang has a follow-up blow? Ling Miao thought, then returned his attention to the stage.

Yan Li coughed, maybe out of dejection. Her smile was radiant but Ling Miao thought it looked forced. Yan Li laughed: “Since you can’t sing my songs, you pick one you know. I’ll sing along.”

“‘Red Bean,’” Ji Linxi said without a second thought, his gaze sweeping reflexively over Ling Miao. The corner of Ling Miao’s mouth twitched. When he heard Ji Linxi say ‘Red Bean,’ he knew that Ji Linxi intended this song for him. Yan Li followed Ji Linxi’s gaze and found with surprised joy that Su Yuyang and Ling Miao were also sitting there.

“Why ‘Red Bean?’” Yan Li spoke against Ji Linxi’s ear so Ji Linxi was the only one who could hear. He frowned and said with difficulty, “It’s a very long story. To summarize, this song has to do with Ling Miao. Ah, I’ll tell you this—I think Su Yuyang has feelings for Ling Miao, but for some unknown reason he’s also decided to conceal his true feelings. But I need someone to confirm it. I’m entrusting you with that.”

Ji Linxi said the above in one breath and then quickly distanced himself from Yan Li, as if worried he’d steal the headlines from Yan Li tomorrow.

“Hey…” Yan Li glared at Ji Linxi, who continued smiling serenely.

“Just now, I asked why he chose ‘Red Bean.’ He said he wanted to sing this song for someone who’s currently here. In that case, let me and this gentleman give to everyone, ‘Red Bean.’” As Yan Li spoke, Ji Linxi’s head hung even lower with the frustration and awkwardness of having his intentions exposed. Ji Linxi internally gave Yan Li a begrudging thumbs-up. With a satisfied smile, Yan Li waved her hand and began.

The intro to ‘Red Bean’ started. Yan Li slid into her persona, leading Ji Linxi with the lyrics. Ji Linxi wasn’t a bad singer—in fact, Ling Miao recalled he’d won the school talent competition three times.

“Sometimes, sometimes I believe all things come to an end. There are times for reunions and times for goodbyes. Nothing will last forever…” As the song continued, Ji Linxi’s voice was the only one remaining. Yan Li stood at Ji Linxi’s side, watching him worshipfully. The camera, which was focused on her, let the almost twenty thousand people at the venue bear full witness to her adoration.

The clear, low male voice reverberated through the stadium. All the audience was captivated by Ji Linxi’s singing. As the song ended, Ji Linxi realized the stadium was dead silent.

“A thank-you to this gentleman for singing. May I know your name?” Yan Li was somewhat choked up, like something had touched the bottom of her heart.