64

Chapter Sixty-four

After lunch, Ling Miao massaged Su Yuyang. The doctor had instructed him to do this in order to prevent muscle atrophy.

“Su Yuyang, you’re not pretending to be in a coma because you want me to keep taking care of you, right? Frankly, I’ll keep taking care of you even if you wake up, so you don’t need to worry.” Ling Miao gently kneaded Su Yuyang’s calf. “Also, Yan-jie’s concert is soon. I remember you said you’d go. Are you going to leave Yan-jie hanging? The online game for Demonic Song Defying Heaven is about to go into beta and I want you to play it with me. Your drafts are about to run out. Even though they’ll last till the 14th when going by your twice daily update schedule, I’m thinking of publishing a few more chapters a day.” Like a nagging wife, Ling Miao’s hands and mouth were constantly in motion.

“Do you still remember Ji Linxi? He’s my housemate. Yan-jie’s fallen for him and is pursuing him. If you wake up, you might be able to give her tips. Oh, yes. I’m also editing my novel according to your suggestions. This is both mental and physical exercise, and without you here I don’t have the motivation to do it.

“Su Yuyang, if you’re not awake, no one picks on me, and that’s boring. Even though I’m mad that you intentionally messed with me, without you, I feel like something is missing. Getting used to something is pretty terrifying. Su Yuyang, don’t let me get used to life like this. I want you at my side even if you annoy me every minute of every hour.

“Hey, Su Yuyang, are you playing a joke on me? Don’t you think it’s gone too far? Wake up! If you don’t, I’ll cut you!” Ling Miao gazed at Su Yuyang’s serene face with a fierce expression, his hands gradually coming to a stop.

“Bastard. Motherfucking bastard.” Ling Miao cursed with a laugh. He might have been cursing Su Yuyang or cursing himself.

Light rain had begun to fall outside the window again. Bean-sized droplets fell against the gutter, the pitter-patter further disrupting Ling Miao’s already tangled thoughts. Ling Miao covered Su Yuyang with a blanket, sat to one side, and continued to edit.

“Ah, Su Yuyang. I thought about this scene for a long time, and you guessed right. It’s a huge plot point. I’ll only reveal it at the end.” As Ling Miao edited, he kept talking to Su Yuyang, but the only reply was the unceasing sound of the rain.

Not having received a reply from Su Yuyang, Ling Miao smiled bitterly and shook his head. The sound of keys clacking filled the room. The pattering of the rain and clacking of the keyboard wove together in harmony, producing a sorrowful song.

“Fuck you, Su Yuyang. If I do say so myself, this is the best part in the entire book, but you criticized it like it’s worthless. Do you believe I’ll hit you?” Ling Miao stared at the computer monitor and his forcibly upturned lips now sagged. He seemed to really be angry. It was as if Su Yuyang were standing at his side.

“Mm…”

A faint hum came. Ling Miao’s hands froze and he listened closely before laughing: “Ah, I’m hallucinating.” Ling Miao continued hammering away at the keyboard, but besides the sounds of his typing and the falling rain, there was now also the sound of someone groaning. Ling Miao slammed hard on the keyboard, turning to yell at Su Yuyang: “If you’re awake, open your eyes! Don’t hem and haw and make noise!”

Su Yuyang didn’t open his eyes but Ling Miao saw his lips move. Ling Miao couldn’t read lips and couldn’t tell what Su Yuyang was trying to say, but Su Yuyang had definitely regained consciousness!

“Bastard, you’re finally reacting!” Ling Miao kicked Su Yuyang and started laughing behind his hand, tears running from his eyes.

Perhaps Ling Miao’s kick had been effective, because Su Yuyang’s eyelids fluttered like a stage curtain about to rise. Ling Miao got out of bed and moved all his things out of Su Yuyang’s room.