Chapter Nineteen: Hard Justice

Somewhere deep in the lush Finnish Wilderness an airfield sat with its several adjoining buildings and hangers to accompany it. The airfield laid there undisturbed atop the frozen landscape on a crisp morning with dark clouds lingering in the sky as they dusted the area in a light snow. A small white and black colored bird landed on one of the branches of the many pine trees overlooking the airfield to rest. Looking down at the base from afar it appeared one would think the airfield was abandoned, perhaps a relic of the Second World War. However from the perspective of the bird one could make out armed men in winter camouflage patrolling the grounds and ones manning the many towers that lined the barbed wire fencing that encased the airfield. Outside of the heavily guarded airfield out in the middle of nowhere, it was an ordinary peaceful day out in the wild. Sharing in the tranquility of the forest the song birds in the surrounding area began chirping happily and upon hearing its fellow songbirds chirp, the black and white bird joined with its compatriots in song.....

The peaceful morning was soon overshadowed as the airbase was rocked by a massive explosion in the north. The birds ceased their singing and fled from their trees soon afterwards, heading into the sky sending the forest back into eerie silence. Black smoke billowed from the site of the explosions and several of the armed men began to make their way towards the smoke. The single black and white bird had remained behind whilst the other birds had fled, perched on its branch watching the chaos from above. The bird watched as the smoke continued to rise into the sky above, it hopped forward a few steps to get a closer look from its branch. As the bird watched the ongoing scene another explosion soon consumed it's retina as the base was rocked once again by another explosion, the echo of gunshots throughout the forest soon followed suit. The bird tilted its head in confusion as it watched on; it soon began to chirp excitedly enjoying the show. Before the bird could get comfy however, its branch shook violently causing it to jump around in surprise. Behind it now was a black foreign looking object gripping the branch tightly; the bird approached it with caution. Its head tilted in curiosity as it reached the foreign object gripping its branch. It proceeded to peck at the object and when it gave no response, the bird to let out a chirp. Before it could peer down to see what was attached to the object, a flurry of white filled its vision as another foreign object appeared from below and gripped the branch. The sudden surprise of another foreign object so close to it was enough to spook the bird into leaping backwards into flight. The bird flapped its wings taking off into the sky as more explosions erupted below...

"Oh Shit, Oh Shit, Oh Shit!" I murmured as I rushed forward, gripping my helmet tightly as I ducked my head narrowly avoiding blasts of mana that went overhead

"Oh Shit, Oh Shit, Oh Shit!" I murmured as I rushed forward, gripping my helmet tightly as I ducked my head narrowly avoiding blasts of mana that went overhead. I could hear the snow crunching beneath my boots as I carried my body forward to carry out the mission that had been assigned to me. My mission in question was to make my way back to headquarters and report the situation to Command, we were fighting an unwinnable battle I was told. That is the task that had been given to me moments before my commanding officer had been slashed in half before my very eyes. Even now I could hear the ongoing gunfire behind me as my comrades in arms fought that thing, that monster. The gunfire would be cut short however by the sounds of their shrill screams as they were cut down. I don't understand how today had taken such a turn for the worst, it was all so surreal....