Chapter 2 - The Search

The crew of the Black Pearl gathered around a few crates on the main deck. There Jack and Lydia sat with Barbossa and Gibbs to decide what it is they were to do for the next few days. Looking around at the faces surrounding them, Lydia knew the crew deserved a proper break from it all, not to be thrown into another big adventure. Surely this task wouldn't be too hard, although everything seemed to take a lot longer to sort out around here. She patted Jack's leg for him to begin.

"Alright," Jack clapped his hands together "we stay docked up for the next few days. Have your fun, see your ladies and that. When we find out more about this ones treasure," He lightly pushed Lydia "we move on from there."

"Aye what do you plan on doing lass?" Barbossa wondered.

"Well I think I'm going to the local historian, see if he knows anything," She smiled back "but I'd like to ask something of you all..."

She met eyes with each member of the crew before turning to Jack who wore a puzzled face.

"If it's alright I would like to go back to Port Royal," She said.

Like it was the last thing Jack was expecting, which it technically was, Jack raised his brows and fumbled with what to say. Lydia hadn't been back since she left with Will months ago. Why would she want to back now?

"Port Royal. You wanna go back there?" Jack questioned "I don't think we'll be very welcomed."

"Only for a few hours. I left without saying goodbye. We can go the south of the island, where we won't be found," Lydia clasped her hands together "I just... There's so much left there I want to say goodbye for good."

Port Royal was never the same as it once was. It had changed more than Lydia known. She had left the town when it was just being taken over, when everyone still believed it to be thriving. But their Governor was dead. Who knew what Port Royal became after such a respect beloved member parted.

The crew watched Jack waiting for his rebuttal. If it was up to them they would be in the town right now drinking until they couldn't even spell the word rum not debating where she was allowed to go. Who said she couldn't. The rules are always more like guidelines anyway.

"Okay," Jack agreed.

"Okay?"

"Aye. We go in four days so we have just enough time here to look for anything on your parents. The crew gets their fun," Jack said holding a hand out to the men "all will be sorted. Okay okay off you go men," He waved them away "you dear have a historian to visit."

"Good luck lass," Barbossa joined in "I'll sure love to see that old sea side town again."

"Yes I hope it hasn't changed too much."

Collecting her bag and slipping on her jacket, Lydia strolled down onto the docks, waving to the two men who guarded the ship. A small smile shun on their faces as she came by, her hair bouncing behind her. The Caribbean sky was plastered up high, the bright blue lighting up her path.

It wasn't much of a walk to the historians, apart from dodging the people who somehow were already drunk so early in the morning it was as peaceful as she could have hoped. As she passed the many taverns and inns, a few people grinned at her as she passed. Tortuga knew who she was now. Pretty much everyone knew of Lydia Mahogany. Pirates loved to hear and write of other pirates, understand tales and ancient curses. Once you were into one of those books you were known for good, or for bad, whatever you had done.  It was hard to make yourself known in this world but Lydia had done it.

It was different before when she had to hide her name in Tortuga in fear someone would snatch her away. Now she could confidently strut through the pirate town with no fear she would be attacked at any moment. Because not only would that be bad idea because of her relationship with Jack but because she wasn't afraid to fight back. Being with Jack definitely gave her some status, but being as powerful as she was provided more. Passing by the many taverns, Lydia spotted the small building home to the historian clear in her view. It was a small building, decorated with small decaying flowers outside the tall wooden door, more of a Tudor style build compared to the other buildings Lydia had seen. Windows covered in mist masked what was inside. Lydia hoped she had the right place, and that whoever was inside would help her.