So Long and Goodnight

~Chapter Twenty Three~

            Day's had gone by, and with the campaign on hold again along with so many more thought's bottling her head Terry did not know whether to crawl into a hole and hide or simply quit.  Her fingers drew back some of Trevor's long dark locks and she shivered to feel the scratches on his head.  In a drunken haze, he had tried to crash his vehicle injuring no one simply himself.  The movie was on hold, the producer had said Trevor had done a fantastic job and they would wait for him to recover.  After hearing Trevor confessed that all he wanted was to be normal again Terry was not certain if he would be up for it.

            At the moment Trevor remained knocked out on painkillers they had injected into his IV.  For Terry this was a great disaster and not only did it intrude in her relationship it was beginning to slowly tear it apart.  Garrett and she had done nothing but argue over Trevor, and at time's Garrett thought Terry secretly in love with Trevor.  There was not a moment she did not leave his sight, but it was not that she loved him like a man, but as a brother. 

            She had a great weakness for broken hearts.

            She sighed as her phone vibrated for the hundredth time and she answered feeling her eyes weary.

            "Hello?"

            "Miss Burk, we are calling from the State of Pennsylvania, there's been a terrible accident, and a patient of ours had your number listed in case of an emergency."

            Terry had no family living in the State of Pennsylvania...unless...Kathy!

            "Who might I ask?" she forced herself to mutter.

            "There is a Katharine McGrover, she is being held in intensive care at the moment."

            Terry felt herself slipping into oblivion as she felt tears stream down her face.  Her right hand clutched Trevor's tightly as she turned her eyes to look at him.  He laid sound asleep, his chest slowly rose, and fell and the only thing heard was the machine monitoring his heart. 

            "Miss Burk?  are you still there?"

            "Yes, may I ask what happened?" she muttered.

            "Things like these are best discussed in person, when is this best?" he asked.

            "I don't know," she muttered.

            She stood only to feel Trevor clutch tightly to her hand and it was more than she could bear to see him react this way.  Forcing his grip to loosen she slipped from the room and wiped at her tears trying to compose her face.  Before her, Garrett arrived with two cups of coffee, his face worn and tried while stubble began to form on his chin.  He smiled faintly at her but it soon vanished as he watched her expression.

            "Is there something else wrong?" he asked.

            She said her goodbye's to the man and silently closed her phone feeling the warmth of the cup slowly seep into her cold fingers.

            "Garrett, you are not going to believe this but...Kathy's been in an accident too, there holding her in intensive care in the State of Pennsylvania...she..."

            Garrett's face paled and he retreated a few steps as she watched tears spill from his eyes.  Her heart lurched and her lips twitched to see him react so openly before her.

            "I have to go." He muttered.

            She stood frozen to the spot as Garrett quickly moved past a few nurses and she watched for the third time Garrett Devine slip from her life.  Terry went into sobbing shock as she pressed up against Trevor's door and slowly slid down.  Nurses and doctors simply walked by, taking only small glances in her direction, probably use to seeing people react like this around here.

********

            Terry placed her head against the cushioned pillow and once again rubbed her weary eyes.  This time she simply stared at her phone screen waiting to hear a message, to receive a call from him, but it never came.  Slowly she shut her phone down, tired of the migraine that had consumed her ever since he had left.  Now she was positive that after all this time he still cared for her.  Even after she had deceived him and dumped him a few months before their wedding.  How could she fight for someone who had grown up all their life loving another?  Garrett had been in Kathy's life for as long as she could remember, she was a fool to think she could have changed the way his heart felt.

            Everything was crashing down on her, the company was receiving too many complaints about the campaign waiting.  Trevor was back to square one, along with her and Garrett.  Everything she had worked so hard to achieve now blew up in her face with a tip of the scales.

            She turned to look at Trevor, all of his family had come to see him, even Belle, and her new husband.  The look on that woman's face was more than Terry could bear.  She knew she still felt something for Trevor, but since she had gone out of the whim and cheated on him with a young man, regret was the only bitter taste that was left.

            The door creaked open and Terry turned to find no other than Belle herself slowly step inside.  Terry turned back to where Trevor laid and squeezed his hand tight, something he had been doing for over the past week.  She sighed as Belle took the other side of the bed and gently placed her hand unto his forearm.  Trevor twitched at the contact and Terry sighed as she slipped her hand from his and stood to give Belle a little privacy.  Belle had let her bright golden curls now turn into a flat and dull blond, while her eyes were graced with dark rings.  Her pale skin seemed even whiter and her thin frame now looked scary skinny.

            However, it was not Terry's room to judge just why she looked so miserable?  Whether it was her new marriage or the fact that she was divorced or regretting it, she did not know.

            "Thank you Terry." Belle suddenly muttered.

            "I'm heading back to my motel, make certain he is comfortable and have his mother call me if there is anything they might need." She muttered.

            "I will." She whispered.

            Terry frowned once the door closed behind her, she wanted to remain, but she had not showered and sleep was much needed.  Quietly she made her way through the halls and out the large sliding doors.  She felt tired, the most tired she had been in her life and at the moment all she wanted to do was sleep so that the pain could go away, even if for a little while.