Good Advice

~Chapter Eight~

            The lounge was deserted as they entered to sit at a small round table near the far back.  Terry quickly slipped a few sub sandwiches from the vending machine and placed them in front of Garrett to eat.  She knew by the looks of it that he hadn't eaten in a while.  His cheek bones had begun to show a bit more.  Garrett quickly picked up the sandwich and took off the clear wrapper tossing it aside. 

            "I knew you hadn't eaten." Terry said.

            He wolfed it down in record time and wiped his mouth clear of all crumbs as he stared at hers.  She simply pushed it towards him without saying anything and watched as he quickly ate it as well.

            "I don't want you to starve yourself; you need to take care of your health, hygiene and reputation.  You are a very successful Banker you don't need gossip spilling out about you." She advised.

            Garrett wiped his mouth and fiddled with the wrapper in his hands as he looked up at her.            "I know, I tried at first but then it all fell apart." He sighed.

            "So tell me more about yourself, if we are going to be seeing more of each other than it be nice to know." Terry asked.

            "I was raised in Chicago, Illinois until I was nineteen. My High School years...Kathy pretty much gums up the words." He added. "I went to college to study business and then got hired by the bank that I own now."

            "I knew Kathy had been dating you for a while but I didn't meet you until a year ago.  She was always so sketchy about the two of you."

            "I moved here to be closer to her; we both grew up in Chicago together but when she decided to go to college here I knew that our relationship would fall apart so I came here."

            "I remember, only I never met you then."

            "No I went to a different college here.  I can't find myself talking about my life without including her in it; she was there every step of the way.  That's why I thought she was the one, I thought she was always going to be there and she looked happy.  The night I proposed to her she was overjoyed, I couldn't have suspected otherwise." He said.

             "I'm really sorry to hear all of this, I was certain that she was happy too." Terry whispered.

            "Well dreams are for rookies and I'm nearly thirty, I can't go about my life acting like Trevor does.  I really need to move forward and get Kathy out of my mind and heart for good."

            "What kind of plans did you have for the both of you?" she asked.

            "I planned to buy a house in the country; I wanted to raise three kids before forty have afternoon cookouts with the family and give Kathy absolutely everything she wanted."

            "Wow." Terry chuckled.

            "Dream deferred I guess." He shrugged.

            "I always dreamed of landing a job out of Manhattan somewhere in Hollywood. The thought of even dreaming a family soon vanished from my hopes.  I have never had any real luck finding someone to connect to.  I guess I'm just bound to wonder the world alone." Terry confessed.

            "You deserve to be rewarded; you help so many people out."

            "Eh, I don't know if cupid's arrow was meant for me, it's just way too complicated, either that or maybe I'm just too picky."