21. Violet

I stormed back into my bedroom and to my annoyance Max followed. Grabbing my phone I tried to call Celia on her mobile but only got through to voicemail. I opened our most recent message conversation and my fingers hovered over the screen as I considered what I could possibly say to her which would make it right. Max is secretly the superhero Ghoul and we almost got blown up and that's why he was naked in my bedroom did not seem to cut it somehow. 

'Leave her.' Max said grimly. He was already moving the towel like he was about to get changed so I quickly turned around giving him some privacy. God only knew it was already more awkward than it needed to be. I heard the rustle of him getting dressed.

'You need to leave,' I replied, once he was decent and I turned around again. 

'I told you already, my home is compromised. I need to rest before I can take on Castlemain.'

'Compromised how?'

He shrugged and then sat down on my bed. 'Castlemain found me. He was tracking me, I think.'

I felt the panic rise inside me. 'Tracking you? So he could find you here?'

He hesitated and I saw in his eyes that he had already considered it was a possibility. 'Maybe. But he might spend quite some time looking for me in the sewer so then we have a few hours.' He settled back against the pillows and closed his eyes.

'Might?' I echoed. I could not believe how lightly he was taking the risk him being here posed to my housemates. 

Max cracked one eye. 'Look, the sooner I sleep the sooner I recover and can deal with Castlemain. OK?' He didn't wait for a reply, just closed his eyes and after a couple of minutes was breathing deeply, fast asleep. 

Although sleep did not bring me the same apparent magical healing properties it apparently gave Max I was also desperate to at least take a nap. The past few hours had worn me out completely and the adrenaline that had fueled my rage against Ghoul was completely gone. I felt drained and empty. The only problem? My bed was now occupied.

I was trying to come up with a solution that did not involve me having to share a bed with Max. There was the sofa bed downstairs but I thought about trying to explain why I was there to Laura and Celia when they came back and decided against it. It would just raise too many questions. I tried to call Celia one more time but her phone was still turned off and I hoped Max was right about her getting over it eventually. I knew if I just had a moment to explain... but I didn't have that luxury. Sighing I realised my only option was to join Max in the bed if I wanted to get any rest at all so I locked my bedroom door and settled down next to him. At least my bed was big enough to accommodate the both of us. 

I was distinctly aware of the warmth of his body close to mine and the fresh soapy smell wafting off him. I thought it was going to take me ages to fall asleep lying next to him listening to the deep rumble of him breathing but before I knew it I was asleep too.

** ** **

I woke up and was momentarily disorientated. I was in my bed, lying on my side with one arm flung over the chest of someone male and warm. As soon as I realised I was hugging Max in my sleep I disentangled myself and jumped out of bed. He murmured sleepily from the movement but otherwise did not stir.

The first thing I did was pick up my phone to check if Celia had called me back. The time was eight thirty in the morning and I realised with a start both Max and I had slept for over 12 hours. There were no missed calls from Celia but I had plenty from Marshall, Theodore's lawyer, a couple of unknown numbers, and even one from Miranda.