12. Violet

I was working with Marshall for just a week when Ghoul made an appearance. It was the first time I had seen him in person after our first encounter. I was checking over Marshall's schedule for the day, noting his meeting in the afternoon with Andrew Barker (Celia's boss) and then another straight after.

'So, you want me to work on those work permit reviews today?' I asked, knowing he wouldn't have time to get them done before they were due in.

'I completely forgot about those permit reviews,' Marshall admitted suddenly stressed. 'They're due tomorrow? OK, great, you work on them, I will review.' He gave me an embarrassed look. 'I literally do not know what I would do without you, Violet, you have been a life saver.'

I nodded nonchalantly and set to work on them immediately. So far a week had passed without me accidentally slipping up and revealing something I knew from my time working with him as Justice, and I was finally beginning to be able to relax and accept that working with Marshall might not actually be that bad. 

I glanced over to Marshall's desk on the other side of the office and caught sight of someone dropping down onto the balcony from above. Before I could stop myself I let out a shriek, and then immediately realised who it was.

At the sound of my scream Marshall saw where I was looking and spun around in his chair, just as Ghoul came casually striding into the office like he owned the place. I couldn't quite believe the nerve he had to just walk into the mayor's office in broad daylight, but then again he had not exactly been keeping to himself this past week. He frequently appeared on the news, sometimes in interviews, and other times in videos caught by onlookers as he took down criminals. Now everyone knew he was super strong and super fast. In fact, if you asked me, I suspected he like all the attention he was getting.

'Ghoul! What are you doing here?' Marshall asked.

'We need to talk.' He strode over to Marshall's desk and leaned close in a way I didn't like.

I just remembered that I was not supposed to know Ghoul personally (him kicking my butt and leaving me passed out in the street counts as knowing someone personally, by the way) and reigned in my murderous glare aimed his way at the last minute. Not that it would have mattered since he was barely paying me any attention.

'Fine, but make it quick, I have an appointment soon.' Marshall crossed his arms indicating he didn't like Ghoul much and it only made me appreciate Marshall more. Clearly he was not buying the hero act Ghoul put on either.

'In private,' Ghoul added.

'Anything you have to say can be said in front of Violet, she is my personal assistant and I trust her,' replied Marshall, giving me a quick smile across the office which I returned gratefully. It was nice to know my boss trusted me.

'It's too dangerous,' said Ghoul, then he dropped his voice, 'it's about Castlemain.' He said the name so quietly I might have missed it if I didn't already know the name.

Immediately Marshall tensed and he sighed. 'You better take an early lunch, Violet,' he said to me regretfully. 

I wanted to stay and find out what Ghoul had to say about Castlemain, but there was no way I could convince either of them to let me stay for this private meeting without revealing my secret identity, and that was something I was not ready to do. 

'OK, sure, see you later.' Reluctantly I left the desk, and walked out of the office, feeling Ghoul's stare on me as I left. I wondered if he had mind reading skills too and, just in case, sent a couple of expletives his way to let him know exactly how I felt about him.

Once I left the office Sheila gave me a surprised look. 'Early lunch break?'

'Marshall has a "private meeting".' I showed the parenthesis with my fingers.