My Thing with Ryan

Start from the beginning

"But why?" He took in a deep breath.

"She likes your husband, her boss." My heart stopped.

All this time, a snake was hiding under my nose. I always knew something fishy was wrong with Liza. She liked Harry.

Jealousy suddenly overcame me as I thought about Harry calling her his right hand man, as well as all the time they spent together. And she helped him build this company. And she practically knows more about him than I do. Dinner with his mother proved that.

"I can see that." I scoffed while simultaneously rolling my eyes. "So let me guess, this is her way of breaking Harry and I up?" It was more a statement than a guess. Of course that's why she planned out this whole trip.

I looked up at Ryan. "And you helped her."

"How could I say no? I want you, Josie. I want us to be a family." He placed a large hand on my belly and the baby kicked, as if he knew his father. I caught my breath and wanted to cry. I didn't know what to tell Ryan. I was in love with Harry, not Ryan. But I was once in love with him.

"I can't, Ryan. Harry and I are married. I can't just leave him. He's already had one woman leave in his life, he doesn't need another." I wiped at a tear and placed a hand over Ryan's. "But I promise to let you visit our son." Ryan looked defeated.

"Josie, I want you to look me in the eye and tell me straight that you have absolutely no feelings for me."

I looked into his deep, blue eyes and wiped at another tear. I told myself that what he requested was easy enough, but as I went to say the words, I couldn't. I did still have feelings for Ryan. That one night we'd shared and his words kept me at bay. I secretly wanted a life with my ex. Live in a rundown apartment and have four kids. A dog named Scraps, a cat named Socks. Our kids jumping up his legs when he came home.

I tried to picture all of that with Harry. But ... our future was so unclear. It always seemed like it was clear but what if he accepts going to London? I don't know how to picture a british lifestyle. I'm an American. Thinking of a future with Ryan was so easy. Too easy.

"You can't, can you?" Ryan smirked. I wanted to punch that handsome smirk right off his perfectly chiseled face.

"I can't." I looked away. "But that doesn't mean I know what's good for me."

"Josie," Ryan gently lifted my hand. "You still like me. If I were to kiss you now, you'd linger. You'll want more. You can't say you won't. We have too much history together. You and Harry hardly know each other." Ryan drew closer to my face. "Who was it that helped you get through those break-ups? Who was it that loved you the moment he laid eyes on you?" His lips were now only inches away. "Who's baby are you carrying?" Before I knew it, his plump lips brushed against mine. I caught my breath and felt my stomach summersault.

Our kiss was gentle at first, then he tugged at my dress at my waist and I couldn't help but put my hands on his chest. Our kiss deepened and soon my hands were tangled in his curly blond hair.

*****

I threw away yet another tissue box as I cried on my bed. I'd ordered pizza and was already done with an entire box. I felt so full and tired and torn and empty and discomfort everywhere.

The TV that blared wasn't enough to keep the thoughts of me kissing Ryan out of my head along with Harry's silent judgment.

What have I done? I deliberately cheated on Harry! My husband! I kissed Ryan right in front of everyone in the lobby. Harry must feel so embarrassed to have to go through this twice now.