Taking A Day Off

*Harry*

I drove Josie to her apartment after finishing up dinner. It was quiet in the car on the way there and I was gripping the wheel the whole way. Like I mentioned earlier. I always have a plan. But when it comes to Josie, my plans go out the window.

Josie stared out the window the whole drive at the beautiful lights in the streets. When we got to her apartment, my heart ached for her as I looked at the trashy building she was living in. I opened her door for her and she got out. She went to open the back door to grab her shopping bags but I stopped her.

"Josie, stay with me tonight. I don't want you staying another night here." I said with worry in my voice as I looked the building up and down once more with fear in my eyes. I'd rather die then live here. I grew up poor but not this poor.

"Really? But ... we're not married just yet."

"I understand but I'm afraid of you getting murdered in your sleep here."

"He-he, you're such a scardy cat. I'm fine. I've been living here for two and a half weeks." I whipped my head in her direction and slanted my eyebrows.

"How are you still alive?" She giggled again. My heart fluttered at her giggle and the real smile on her face.

"Well, if you try anything, I have a strong feeling that I can beat you up."

"Now you're just hurting my pride as a man."

"Don't try anything then if I do decide to come stay at your place." I nodded and crossed my heart with my finger. She smiled. "Okay, let me just get a few things from upstairs."

"Would you like me to accompany you?"

"Only if you don't say anything about my tiny apartment. I mean, it's clean, but it's quite pathetic to what I can only dream compared to your own penthouse." I shrugged. I locked the car and followed her upstairs. We came back down to the car with a suitcase and two trash bags full of clothes.

"You're lucky you're marrying a rich guy like me. You have a need for clothes." I teased. Josie smacked my shoulder.

We drove to my apartment and Josie wouldn't stop spinning slowly in circles as she took in the white walls of the building I lived in with its red carpets, white couches, and crystal chandeliers. I asked the doormen to help us with the shopping bags and they did. Fifteen minutes later, I opened the door to my apartment for my future wife and the doormen. Again my beautiful fiancé danced in circles as she took in my "humble" abode. Then, she tripped on a shirt that was lying on the ground. I dropped her suitcase and ran over to her. I surprised myself as I admitted to myself that not only was I worried about her but also the baby.

"Are you and the baby okay?" I asked. Josie was surprised too at my priorities.

She nodded then laughed. "Harry! Your house is a mess!" I chuckled under my breath.

"I don't have time to clean." I whined. The doormen dropped off the bags and were quickly out the door.

"You should tip those men." I nodded and ran out the door for them. I tipped them each twenty bucks then went back to Josie. "Now you should tip me for marrying you."

"I'm tipping you the rest of my life." She giggled.

"Don't you have a maid or something?" I shook my head.