Chapter 28- Who's in Charge?

I had my head on Maylan's lap as Leah went through different outfits in her closet

"Why is this such an event?" I asked, "I thought you and Tate hung out by yourselves plenty of times before."

"Well yeah but this time is going to be different. We never went on an official date before. Plus, I think he might actually ask me to be his girlfriend."

"Really?" Maylan asked excitedly, "how do you know?"

"He's been hinting at it all week long basically. He's not a very good secret keeper."

"I'll say." I added. He was the reason I knew about Tristan's secret life after all, which I was actually grateful for. He was also the reason Carson knew about both of the boys.

You'd think he would be a little more subtle about it, considering it was illegal. But subtly didn't seem to be Tate's thing.

"What about you and Tristan?" Maylan asked as she flicked my forehead from above me, "What even is the status between the two of you?"

"Oh you're one to talk ms. 'my best friends brother is the one for me.'" I said in a sing song voice, doing my best to imitate Victoria Justice.

"So basically I should suffocate her right?" she asked Leah, lifting a pillow over my face, and Leah just nodded her head nonchalantly.

I laughed as I pushed it out of my way, "I'm only teasing. And we're on good terms, obviously. I don't want to be that "so what are we" type of girl. It's just really good between us and I don't think it's important to put a label on it right now."

I looked up at Maylan's face from her lap and poked her in the chin, "Your turn, spare me the nasty details please. He's still my brother." and I gagged a little.

"Well obviously I really like him, and he's actually asked me already," this made me sit up and look at her, "but I told him no." she said regretfully.

"What? But why?" Leah asked.

"I don't want to be in another relationship before I'm ready. I think I just need a little more time to build my confidence back up after the while Riley situation."

"That's understandable, how did Carson take it?" I asked.

"Really well actually, he's been so understanding. That's why I know he deserves me at my best, so I'm working on that. Self-love first right?"

"Absolutely right." Leah responded and I agreed.

"Anyway," Maylan said as she turned her attention back to Leah, "what are you guys going to do? That should help you narrow something down."

"He said he's taking me to a drive-in theatre." She admitted bashfully.

"AW what the hell? That's a cute idea." I was surprised Tate thought of that himself.

"Wait I thought the drive-in was open on weekends, It's Wednesday."

"Well the date is Friday night, but you know, I wanna be prepared. Which is why I need help from you two because I wanna look really cute."

"Well then, I guess It's time for a fashion show Leah. Show us what you got." I said, and the girl fun began.

———————————

When I got that home, I had dinner with dad and Carson at the table. We always liked to eat at the table together as a little family of three and dad didn't allow any cell phones at the table. He says we couldn't get any bonding time done if all we did was stare at our phones at the dinner table.

I wasn't mad about it because he had a point. I was just lucky we were a close family and dinners were actually enjoyable.

"So I need to run something by the two of you," dad started, "I have a business trip in two weeks. The Philippines." He put his hands out in dramatization of the location.

"Hey cool, we're going to the Philippines?"

"Uh, I am. You two are staying here and going to school. You're going to keep your grades up, you're going to do your chores, and you're going to keep your curfew."

He pointed his finger at Carson then, "and you are going to listen to your sister while I'm gone, got it?"

"Wait, wait, wait dad. I'm the oldest here. Don't you mean Adelaide has to listen to me while you're gone?"

"No son, I said what I meant." And I laughed out loud.

"What are you laughing at butthead? Dad, I am the oldest. You should leave me in charge." He tried to reason.

"Yeah, maybe if he wanted to come back to the house in flames." And then I laughed some more.

"Oh yeah? Who was the dumbass that put laundry detergent in the dish washer?"

I had my mouth gaped open and almost argued back when dad spoke up, "First of all, language. Second of all, maybe I should hire a babysitter for the two of you."

"Absolutely not dad, I was eleven years old when I did that. I know how to do my chores now." I defended.

"Then along with everything else I mentioned, you two will get along when I'm gone."

"Got it, no problem. Right Carson?" I looked at him expectantly.

"Right." He said unwillingly.

The table went quiet until I asked Carson to pass me a roll. He chucked it at my face and dad glared at him right away.

"What?" Carson asked, "you said get along when you're gone."