Chapter 17- Doodle of the Day

Maylan met up with me first thing the next day and we walked to class together

"I'm so sorry for trying to sneak around with your brother Ada. I really wanted to tell you, but Carson kept saying he would tell you himself, only he kept prolonging it."

"Don't worry about it Maylan, I forced it out of him yesterday."

"Is this weird? Because if you're not okay with it then I'm totally not okay with it."

"Honestly, it was a little weird at first, but I can be okay with it. It's not about me anyway. This is about you and your happiness. You deserve someone who genuinely makes you happy Maylan, that's what's important to me."

She pulled me to the side of the hallway and wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug, "Thank you Ada," and she sounded so relieved, "you do too by the way."

I pulled away from her with a smile and we resumed walking together in the crowded halls of the morning rush.

"How did it happen anyway?" I asked Maylan.

"Well. The day after he started sitting with us during lunch, we saw each other in the hallway and he asked to walk to me to class. I guess it just became an everyday thing after that and then we exchanged numbers. He's just been so sweet to me and he makes me laugh."

"Yeah I guess I'll give it to the little turd, he's good entertainment."

She laughed at that, "you're coming to the diner after detention right?"

"Yup. Tate and I will make sure Tristan comes too. See you later?"

"Yes ma'am." She said and we went our separate ways to the first class of the day.

———————————

Tristan had texted me during lunch today to let me know that he was in the library to finish an assignment, so I didn't get to see much of him until detention.

"Hi grumpy, how are your bruises today?" I asked Tristan as I sat down beside him. This suddenly gave me an idea of what to draw for the next hour in here.

"They're better I guess. I can actually sit down without wanting to die."

"Yay, progress!" and then I threw my hand out for a high five and he humored me by giving my hand a smack.

I got my notebook out as Mr. Pennded came in and the class at this point knew it meant no talking was allowed.

After his usual introduction, I felt a familiar pair of eyes on me so I looked over.

It was Walter. He had been radio silent with me since the party, but every now and then I would catch him glaring at me and Tristan from the other side of them room.

This side of Walter I could live with. This version was too stuck up and bitter to talk to me these days, so all I had to deal with were his harmless glares.