Chapter 4- Notes and Doodles

"And just where do you think you've been young lady? School let out an hour ago

"And just where do you think you've been young lady? School let out an hour ago." I heard as soon as I shut my front door.

It was my idiot brother Carson, who was currently checking his nonexistent wrist watch.

"Carson, you're not dad."

"Yeah and you're lucky as hell I'm not dad. Because dad doesn't know you've been in detention for the last HOUR, DAAAAAD!"

"No! Carson shut up." I lept towards him and threw my hands over his mouth.

"thew ma tores fer tha reth of tha wek." He tried to say through my hands.

"I am not doing your chores for an entire week."

He muffled a scream through my hands so high that his voice cracked something awful.

I heard dads office door open and his footsteps from the ceiling above us.

"fine okay. The whole week, just shut up about it you big baby."

"kids? Is that you making all that noise down there?"

"yeah dad, sorry." I shouted so he could hear me from upstairs.

"I'm in a meeting. Try to keep it down please." He shouted back. I heard his footsteps from above us again and his office door shut closed.

"Good lord Carson," I said as I rolled my eyes, "sometimes I can't believe you're older than me."

"I know, I got the good genes in the family." He said as he flipped air over his shoulder, as if he had long hair.

I called him a doofus under my breath and he spoke up again, "mom called, she says her and Braedon say Hi."

Mom and my other older brother Braedon live in Florida. Braedon is attending college out there and Mom moved after her and dad got a divorce when I was in the 8th grade. They're the reason why me and Carson took a trip to Florida during the summer. Dad stayed behind of course and drowned himself in work.

"okay," I said, "I'll just call her tonight."

I went upstairs to change into some leggings and a sports bra then threw on loose tank top over it. Most days after school I enjoyed going on runs. I only exercise so I can eat junk food guilt free.

During my run I thought back to everything that happened during detention. From Tristan actually acknowledging me, to him defending me against Walter. The whole thing completely threw me off guard.

I mean, the dude went nearly five years without a single word, nada. I spent the first few weeks of the sixth grade trying to get him to talk to me, but he flat out ignored my reaches. Even if we made eye contact, he would look away.

But recently he's been holding my attention. He didn't look away today when I looked at him first. I was the one who broke that contact first.

I wanted to thank him when we were released from detention, but he was the first one out the door. When I went into the hallway after him, he was long gone.