♫~Notes 83~♫

Magsimula sa umpisa

Her head snapped his way. Surprise and shock all written over her face.

Mr. Hiroki gave her an encouraging smile. "We thought it would be better." He let out a deep sigh. "I know I can't replace my half-brother. Nobody can. However, we can't watch as you whiter away under the pressure of returning the favor or feeling as baggage."

He took a few steps forward. "My boss told me, if this goes well, he would promote me. That way I would have enough money to support you as well." He looked over his shoulder, sending her way a big smile.

"But it seems I came late."

Freya stretched her neck forward.

"You have found great friends here. Asking you to come with me would do more harm. But please, remember, if there is anything troubling you, my family shall be there for you. If you decide to transfer your scholarship, we shall help you."

A smile spread on Freya's face as she hugged her uncle. Despite not looking a bit alike, there was a bond between them. One stronger than any blood. After the warm hug, she returned to her friends. A few tears slid her cheek.

'I guess I miss them a lot too. I really need to visit them.'

\\_(''>_<'')_//

Later that day, Freya visited the cats. The kittens were sleeping a lot, drinking milk to grow well. Taiga, their mother, accepted Freya and allowed her to groom her fur or get close to kittens. It was strange how Ueno took care of them first.

'Not everything that glitters is gold.' She remembered an old proverb she once heard in a TV show for kids.

Today, she didn't see her except for meeting in the hall as usual. Ueno kept her cold front, attending lessons as before.

'She has a face to keep.'

\\_(''>_<'')_//

Meanwhile, Ueno was bored to death. The Council requested her to listen to their idea of rebuilding the library into a modern facility. The books would be digitalized, and the paper ones threw out or burned.

As Nobu Mori said, paper books were a product of the old days and needed to step back to provide space for modern technology. Fever and fewer people were reading books, and the number of students visiting this part of school went down as well.

She surpassed a yawn. If Nobu knew what to do the best, it was to lullaby others with his boring voice. He would make a great salesman or office worker. Nobody else would pick such a dull work anyway.

'I wonder what kittens are doing. Are they okay? Maybe I should add more covers or blankets.'

"Ueno-sama?"

She jerked her head as Nobu called her. She barely remembered half of his words, and everybody watched at her.

"So," she started, biding for some time, "you want to completely change the library." She rested her cheek on her open palm. "Are you sure about that?"

"Of course." He turned toward the interactive board the council owned. It had a 3D model of the new library. Gone were the wooden shelves with walls providing touch-panels instead. The students could search for anything and send it to their mobiles.

There were more tables with computers, an audio corner where students could listen to audiobooks on each floor, and some screens she was too drowsy to decipher.

"Do you know the unique structure makes this the top choice for visitors each Open School Day? This school was established around three hundred and seventy years ago, right?"

She didn't need them to nod as that was a well-known fact.

"It's a local cultural heritage. Do you know how many tourist guides mention this place?" She stood up, going to the screen. "My mother didn't pour millions into restoring it for a snotty brat like you to turn it into the tenth rated sci-fi nook."

Nobu's face twitched as he almost lashed out with anger.

"Denied." Ueno flicked with her hair, leaving.

She had enough. Enough of the Council. Enough of their babbling. To tell the truth, Ueno wasn't particularly fond of this library. She never ventured there, apart of showing it off to new students or visitors.

Yet that didn't mean she would let it be destroyed. And there was that cow remark she heard. No way she would approve of any project that would come from his mouth any time soon. Her mind had been preoccupied already with cats and her discovery.

'Did father leave it there?' She took out her phone and opened the gallery app. The picture of an open paper with a number code and address didn't let her sleep. 'Is this some sort of a game?'

 'Is this some sort of a game?'