All For Us

Chapter 12

All For Us

August Griffin

A smile grew on my face as I walked towards the exit of the school building. I had stayed up until 5 am to finish my Spanish homework and I desperately needed sleep. I arrived at my car, ready to go when the realization hit me: April wasn't here and we were still sharing a car. I groaned and put my bag into the car before closing the door. Pulling out my phone, I called her. No response. I called again with the same result. Why today of all days? I locked the car doors and headed back towards the building.

Cheer practice should've been over by now. They usually ended before us, or at the same time. I thought back, they did go over a lot before games or performances and there was one coming up soon. If that was the case, I'd just leave the car with April and get a ride or walk back home. I just wanted to sleep, desperately.

The gymnasium that they used was empty for the most part. A few people remained. They picked up the mats and other equipment. I guess she was in the locker room. I sucked in my cheek, knowing that I couldn't go in there to check if I was right or not. Thankfully, I saw someone that I knew among the people that were cleaning up. One of April's friends that was on the team with her named Cara. We made eye contact which she dropped, making me frown and walk over to her.

"Hey, Cara." I said when I was close enough.

She looked up as if she hadn't seen me already. She said as quick hello as she continued to clean.

"So I was wondering if you had seen my sister, April."

"April? She didn't come to practice today."

"What?"

"Yeah, she hasn't been in the last couple of days. Coach said that if she doesn't check in, she's out."

"How many days has she missed?"

"I don't know, a week?"

"Don't you have class with her? Did you ask her why?"

"I haven't talked to her."

"Aren't you friends?"

"Not really. Not anymore."

I started to ask any other question but she spoke before I could, "Look, August. I can't help you so let's just be done with this conversation please."

She finished her last talk before walking away from me without looking back. I scoffed. April hadn't been going to practice for the last few days? So what was the whole morning ordeal of grabbing her uniform and duffel? Why was she lying? Why didn't she tell me what was up? Why didn't I notice something was wrong? I ran a hand through my hair knowing that sleep was no longer a part of the plan.

I left the school building again and sent April another text after my phone call went unanswered. I opened the door with more force than I realized making it hit my leg. I cursed under my breath, rubbing the spot as I got into the car. I thought to myself about where she could be. I realized that I didn't know her friends that well, not anymore. I thought she was still close with Cara and she was avoiding talking to me for dear life.

There was one person I could call. I pulled into my driveway, hoping that April was home so that I wouldn't have to call anyone else.

"April? April? April!" I said as I walked further into the building.

"What? Stop yelling."

"Where were you?"

"Practice ended early so I caught a ride."

"And what, you couldn't call me?" I ask, ignoring the blatant lie she told me.

"My phone died."

"And how long have you been home? You couldn't charge it? What the hell, April? I was worried."

"Calm down. I don't get what the big deal is. I've gotten home on my own before, August."

"The big deal is that you are lying to my face."

She tensed but quickly recovered, asking me, "What are you talking about?"

"I know that you didn't go to practice today. I know that that you didn't go yesterday or for the past week. I know that you've been putting on a show for mom and dad and me every day. I just don't know why. What is going on, April?"

"Nothing is going on. I just, I haven't been into the team lately. I'm thinking of quitting."

"Quitting? April, you love that team more than anything. I saw how hard you worked to make it on that team, to be the best on that. Why? Why would you throw that away?"

She shrugged and shifted, "I guess I grew out of it."

"You guess?" I stopped myself from saying another else.

She noticed my abrupt stop and looked at me as if she was waiting for more.

"April, I don't know what to do here." I leaned back on a wall near me as I felt my eyes water.

"What do you mean?" She moved from foot to foot.

"I, I have been ignore it, I'll admit. All the little things, all the problems. I've just been waiting for you to open up to me. I've been a bad brother and I feel like I've had this conversation with you before and again and again and I just don't know what to do anymore."

"August."

"I need you to tell me what's wrong. I need you to tell me what happened last year. I need you to tell me what's happening now."

"August."

"I need you to tell me or I'm telling dad what I know and we both know that dad won't let it go."

I heard her voice crack as she called my name one more time.

"April, please." My voice was shaking. It hurt to have to threaten her to know what was happening in her life but I was concerned. More than I'd ever been. When we started high school, we mostly let each do whatever. We'd check in all the time but never as close as when we were kids but this was different. There was a drift. Something was wrong and I couldn't go any longer without knowing what it was.

~~~~~~~

Enjoy! Trying To Fill In The Pieces For You Guys.

Me Uploading This Right After It Became Thursday 😔

2.6k Reads
151 Comments
38 Votes

9/10/2020