Wait For It

Chapter 10

Wait For It

August Griffin

"You're going to make us late!" April yelled as she threw my bedroom door open, making it slam against the wall.

I groaned and pulled a pillow over my head, glared at her and said, "I thought the whole point of you finally getting a license is that you can drive yourself to school."

"Not today. Dad's car isn't working so he took mine. So there goes that. If you don't hurry, I'm taking your car and leaving you."

I sat up as she closed the door with a smile. I rushed through my shower and getting dressed before meeting April downstairs.

"No breakfast for you. Moved to slow." She said as she twirled the keys on her finger, grabbing her bag and heading to the door.

I scoffed and looked at my dad, who shrugged and bit into his sandwich.

"For now, the car belongs to both of you. So get used to sharing, August."

I grabbed a slice of turkey from his plate and caught up to April. She sat in the driver's seat and I begrudgingly walked over to the other side.

"Please be careful with my car."

"Yes because I was planning on crashing it."

"Being as it took you 3 tries to pass your road test and you passed by the skin of your teeth, I felt it should be said."

She rolled her eyes and pulled out the driveway. We managed to make it to school in one piece. April smirked at me when she parked the car and I sucked my teeth before swiping the keys out of her hand.

"Looks like its mine again." I said and walked away before she responded.

The first few days of school had been the same, a long day of learning, lunch and more learning before the day ended. The thing that was different this year was Kai. It was walking him to class, sitting with him at lunch, sending him text instead of paying attention. The thought made me smile and it only grew when I saw him in the hallway. He gave me a small one. I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, making him blush. I walked him to his class as I told him about April stealing my car this morning. He laughed and poked my side, telling me to stop being a bad brother. I scoffed at the comment. If anything, she was the bad sister for taking my car. We went our separate ways until lunch.

The classes passed quickly. Or maybe I just hadn't being focused enough to feel them pass. Either way, I was glad to hear the bell ringing signifying my lunch period. Kai's class was across the hall from mine which is where I rushed to. He was already outside.

"You moved fast today."

"Or did you move slow?" He asked.

"Touché." I responded.

The lunchroom was still filling up as we walked to our usual table. Nolan was the only one there so far. He stared at the table, more like a glare really. We sat down and greeted him to which he responded with a head nod.

"Where's Milan?" I asked.

"I'm not his keeper." He shot back quickly.

"Whoa there. Relax a little."

He rolled his eyes and sat back in his chair. The rest of our group trickled in as time passed. Demi, Lucy and Jonas didn't have the same lunch period as us this year, making the group significantly smaller. April sat next to me with Kai on the other side. Lyle sat at the end with Remy in the middle and Nolan silently stared at the table for the entire period at the end. Lyle and April shot looks at each other every few seconds, making me roll my eyes.

~~~~~

I didn't have practice today so I went to the weight room. It was surprisingly empty with only 3 people in there, one of those people being Nolan. I watched as he attempted to bench press what I knew was well above his ability without a spotter. He made the first few reps with no problem but then again, the first ones were always easier. I walked over and helped him lift it before it fell on his chest when his arms started to shake.

"Why exactly are you trying to kill yourself, Nolan?"

"I had it." He said as he sat up and grabbed his towel from the bench next to him.

"Maybe in the afterlife."

He glared at me. I sat down next to him.

"What's wrong? Is this about baseball?" I knew it wasn't. "Is it your mom? Is it school? Is it Milan?"

"It isn't anything. There's nothing wrong. Let it go."

So it definitely was Milan.

"What happened? Are you fighting? Is he mad? Did you do something? What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything!," he stood up, "At least, I don't think I did. I feel like I would know, right? If I did something to make him mad, to make his this mad, I'd know, right?"

"What happened?"

"He texted me. He just texted me and broke up with me. Over text after not talking to me for two days. And I swear that I didn't do anything. So I don't know what's wrong. And now he's avoiding me in school and he won't talk to me. And I just want to fix it because we've been together for almost three year, August, and I can't just let them go because I love him. And I know that he has to still love me because love doesn't just stop like that." He sniffled and turned his back towards me.

Nolan wasn't an emotional person, at least not around people, definitely not around me. That was why I kept my distance. I didn't know what to say. My first thought was to talk to him but that had already been a hit and a miss. Before I could answer, Remy walked in.

"Yo, Nolan? Coach is looking for you." He was gone as soon as he came, hardly waiting from Nolan to acknowledge that he had heard him.

Nolan sniffled, wiped his face and sniffled again before facing me.

"Just disregard everything I said. I'm fine." He said as he grabbed his belongings and left the room.

I called after him but he ignored me which might've been a good thing because I didn't know what to say to make it better. All I could say was that he'd have to wait for it, wait for Milan to open up, wait for things to be better and I knew that that hurt to hear.

~~~~~~

Yes, I Did It! Another Chapter Completed! I Am Realizing That I Am Really A Romantic As I Write Like Wow.

For Some Reason, I Couldn't Link The Song But It's Wait For It From The Hamilton Soundtrack.
*update: came back and uploaded it, lol*

Vote!
Comment!
Enjoy!

2.22k Reads
136 Votes
35 Comments

8/19/2020