Nothing Even Matters

Chapter 4

Nothing Even Matters

August Griffin

I was awaken by a firm hit to the face. I opened my eyes with a groan and saw my sister standing over me and a pillow on the floor.

"What the hell, April?" I said as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes.

"Time to wake up. Our friends will be here in less than a hour."

"And the only way to wake me up was a pillow to the face?"

"I'm sure it wasn't but it was the funniest." She laughed and ran out before the pillow that I had grabbed and thrown could hit her. 

I rolled over to check my phone as I got up to take a quick shower. I was a morning shower person, it was the only way to wake me up. My phone rang as I finished, making me hurry out of the bathroom. I looked at the missed call notification from Lyle. A text message popped up before I could call back.

Lyle: I wanna talk to you
Lyle: like before we go out
Lyle: but like don't get mad

I raised a brow at the three weird messages. I responded with an okay followed by an ellipse. A knock rang out of on door followed by April's voice.

"I hope you're dressed because I am coming in."

I tightened the towel around my waist as the door opened. April invited herself in and sat on my bed. She was already fully dressed.

"So you're still not ready, I see."

"Well, I can't get ready with your constant interruptions. What is it now?"

She said nothing as she stared at a random spot on my bed.

"Hello? Are you here for a reason or can I actually get dressed?"

She sighed, stood up and followed with, "Nothing. Just wanted to see if you were ready. I'll be downstairs."

"Right, see you there then."

She walked to the door as I started to look through my closet for an outfit.

"August?" She called from the door.

"Hmm?" I answered without looking back.

"I love you, big brother."

I faced her with a small smile, "I love you too, little sister."

She closed the door and I got dressed before following her downstairs. My father was in the kitchen serving a pancake breakfast. He did it every year that he was home. My mother even helped with it. It was the one time a year that I felt like the perfect family that everyone thought we were. He smiled when he saw me.

"Need some help?" I asked.

He scoffed, "This is your birthday. I can handle making a few pancakes."

We laughed as I sat down at the kitchen island. He was right about that. It didn't take him long to finish and plate them. We ate in the kitchen.

"So what's the plan for today?" My mother asked looking at April.

She looked at me before answering, "Well, we were going paint balling. Then get some food, maybe. And then the carnival if it isn't too late."

"Sounds fun." She said taking another bit of her food.

"Just make sure that you guys are home awake enough to watch a movie." My dad said, making sure that we hadn't forgotten about his birthday tradition.