Everything I Wanted

Chapter 3

Everything I Wanted

Kai Donovan

The waves crashed against the beach, making April giggle while Lyle spun her around. They had spent over ten minutes, playing around over there. Those two had gotten close. I wasn't sure what exactly was happening there but they both looked happy, very happy. Lyle seemed nice. I didn't know him that well. But April was different. When we were younger, April had always been the type to disengage first in a relationship. She had a fear of getting her heart broken. I wasn't sure why. Her parents and all other adults in her life had still been together. I wondered what it could've been, especially with August being the opposite of her. The type to start and fight for a relationship, even when it was hurting him. Like the one is was currently in. Whatever this relationship was. He was my boyfriend, right? I thought of him as that, even if I was doing a really bad job at it.

"I don't know what happened between those two at the end of the school year but they are always together now." August said pulling me from my thoughts.

I looked back at him. We were sitting further up the beach, away from the water and near the boardwalk. He had found some old towel in the trunk of his car which we were sitting on. I smiled at him and he smiled back.

"I think that they are dating in secret. Or at least they want to. Lyle is my best friend but he's never been around me as much as he is now. And it is suspiciously always when April's around. I wonder if he's worried how I'll react. Now that I think about it, it would make sense if he was. I've told him off about before but I thought he was joking then. Maybe he wasn't? Everything is a joke with him though. It's hard to know when he is being serious. But if he was, he's never listened to me before so why start now, right?"

I stared him as he ranted. The top two buttons on his shirt were open, revealing the gold chain that he had on and a little bit of his chest. His hair dropped in front of his eyes but only a small piece, not enough to block his sight. The diamond earring in his left ear caught the light of a passing car making it sparkle. His jawline looked sharp, I wanted to feel it. When he smiled, the corners of his eyes would crinkle, a small vein in his neck would show, his bottom lip would fold in a strange but cute way. And he smiled a lot. His teeth were like fangs. When he would bit his lip after a laugh, I would always worry that he would cut himself. They were pink, his lips. Like actually pink, not the color that comes in lipstick but a natural shade that looked great when it was wet. Like he had heard me, he licked his lips making them shine as he continued to talk about Lyle and April. I didn't know what it was in this moment but he looked good. He looked really good right now.

"And it's not like Lyle has a good track record with girls. Love him but he can be a player. As an older brother, I think it is only right to want to protect my little sister. And April is a whole other story. We are usually so close like we would tell each other everything. But this whole last school year, she's been so distant and I want to help but I can only do so much without some sort of cooperation. " He looked over at me, finally noticing that I hadn't heard most of what he had said.

He laughed, "I was rambling again, wasn't I? Shit, I need to stop. I've lost count of the amount of times that I have done this in front of you." He started up again.

I acted on my urge to touch his jawline. That shut him up. His breath caught as I ran my thumb over it. His skin was softer than it looked, no subtle. I wasn't sure what had come over me in the moment. Maybe it was the romantic scenery, or more likely, the anxiety meds that I took before leaving my house today. Whatever it was, it made it easy for me to lean forward and kiss him on the lips. They were soft too.

He seemed to have froze for a second before kissing me back with full force. It lasted a minute or two before he pulled away. I looked away after. I felt my face heat up. The high I was on was crashing down. I was thanking that August hadn't said anything. I felt him lay his hand over mine hesitantly. I pulled it closer. Even without looking at him, I could tell that he was smiling. We sat there not facing each other until April and Lyle ran over to us.

"We've got to get back now. Mom is starting to notice that we aren't there."

"What did she say?" August asked as we stood up. He picked up the towel, dusting it off before folding it.

"She just said, 'Hey, sweetie. Been looking for you. Where did you go? Some people here want to talk to you.' And then a bunch of emojis like she usually ends texts."

"And what did you write back?"

"I didn't. I am buying us time. When we are five to ten minutes away, I'll say that I went out for some air."

We rushed back to the car. The road was pretty empty by now. Only street lights were on. I rolled my window down and left the breeze cool me down. The sense of euphoria from earlier had hit me again. Maybe I could do this whole teenager thing. Maybe I could even do it well. I grinned, putting my face into my inner elbow to hide it.

~~~

Hey, I've Been Sticking To This Wednesday Schedule. I Am Very Proud.

Comment!
Vote!
Enjoy!

1/29/20