Helpless

Chapter 8

Helpless

August Griffin

My finger hovered over the send button. I read and reread the message while I doubted if it was worth the risk. I shook my head as I erased it and leaned back in my living room chair. I tapped my foot against the floor. Sitting back up, I typed the message in again. I had never felt this level of stress before. Sweat was going down my back, making me jump up and jump before sitting down again. I chewed on my bottom lip and twiddled my fingers. This shouldn't be this hard.

"Just send it." My father said into my ear, making me jump and drop my phone.

"Jesus, Dad. How long have you been there?" I asked as he laughed loudly, grabbing his stomach.

"I came somewhere between the pacing and the sitting and standing and sitting again." He responded as he caught his breathe.

I groaned as I grabbed my phone off the floor. So he'd been there from the start then? Great, the embarrassment of other people witness my struggle was the last thing I needed. I wondered if things could get worse. I internally screamed as I looked at the sent message. Of course, just what I needed.

"Oh my god, Dad! You made me send it." I said panicked.

"At least I eliminated the choice. You should be happy after that display that I just witnessed. You're welcome."

I threw the phone into the seat and paced while I ran a hand through my hair. Alright, it was fine. It totally was.

"Relax, it's not that big of a deal. What's that thing people say? The worst he can say is no."

"There are things worst than no."

I froze as the phone pinged. I folded my arms across my chest as I wondered if I should check it. The floorboard creaked in the direction of my father. He and I locked eyes. He rushed forward and grabbed the phone. I had to admit, he was fast for an old man.

"Dad! What are you doing? Give it back." I shouted as I tried to reach for it but he was a tall old man.

"I'm doing this for you, August. We both know that you will just stare at the phone."

"Keep telling yourself that." I said as I stopped trying to retrieve the phone.

"No need to be snippy. You'll be happy to see his response." He tossed the phone to me.

I smiled at the 'ok' and headed to the kitchen. I put on my apron excitedly but the panic set in soon after.

"Let me guess, you don't know what to make?" My dad looked at me with a smile on his face.

I pouted, for lack of a better word.

"Wow, this version of you is priceless."

"What version would that be?" April asked as she walked in. She took an apple, cleaned it and sat on the counter.

"This 'helplessly in love' August."

"Oh yes, you've missed out. Dad, you should've seen him earlier last school year."

"Before the formal proposal?"

"That wasn't even the mushiest moment. Let me tell yo-"

"Or not." I cut April off.

They looked back at me as if they suddenly remembered that I was still here.

"So what's the current situation?" April asked.

"There's no 'situation', alright? I just don't know what to make right now."

My dad raised a brow and had a smirk but said nothing. I explained the situation to her.

She awed before she spoke, "That's easy. Just make a favorite. Don't overthink it, August. You have a habit of doing it. Just relax, make what you know."

I nodded at her words as she and my father left me alone. What she said made too much sense for me to snap back at her. She's right, right? Don't overthink, just do it. I groaned, it was easier said than done. My fingers tapped against the counter as I thought about what would be the best choice. Something simple, something loved, this was a lot of pressure to put on a food, i laughed to myself. In the moment, the perfect idea hit me. I grabbed my phone and sent out a quick text before I started to prepare.

It took less than I thought. I packed everything up and got ready to go. The drive felt shorter than usual, probably because of my nerves. I sat in the car for longer than I needed to, trying to get my heartbeat to slow down. After realizing it was very unlikely to happen, I got out with everything that I had brought. I sent another text as I walked to the backdoor. Mr. Donovan opened it for me. He helped me bring everything inside.

"Is he ready?" I asked.

"He was already finished getting dressed when you texted. He has a habit of being overly prepared."

"Does he know where you are?"

"He's too busy pacing the living room to worry about what I am doing?"

I smiled at the comment. Looks like we had that in common. We worked quickly and quietly in the backyard, placing everything where it needed to be. I thanked him and ran back out front. I waited for a moment to catch my breathe. I rang the doorbell and Kai opened it.

"Hi." He said with a smile.

"Hi." I responded.

"You're early."

"You're ready though."

He nodded, "Where are we going?"

"You'll love it." I held out my hand and smiled when his placed his in it.

I walked him to the back of the house. He stayed silent but the confusion was evident on his face. Shock and joy replaced it as we reached the desired location. Mr. Donovan and I had set up and spread out a picnic style meal with Kai's favorite food: waffles with blueberries. He laughed and smiled and laughed some more.

"Welcome to our first date." I said before giving him a soft kiss on the cheek.

~~~~~~~~~~
Almost Forgot But I Made It. With My New Hamilton Obsession, Of Course The Title Has To Do With One Of The Songs.

Vote!
Comment!
Enjoy!

1.69k Reads
109 Votes
28 Comments

7/22/2020