What If I Told You That I Love You

Chapter 5

What If I Told You That I Love You

Kai Donovan

Since I'd woken up 5 hours ago, I had been mentally preparing myself for going out with August and his friends today. Even now as I sat near the door, dressed and waiting for him to arrive, my stomach was flipping. But I was determined to do this. He wasn't going to arrive for about a hour or two but I didn't think I could bring myself back here if I left. My phone buzzed and I turned it over confused. I had time, didn't I? The text was from Victoria. I had texted her a few days ago while I was on my apology spree. I had apologized to her, my dad, August again, April, McCain and agreed to try not to go backwards. I was talking now, no matter how little it was and Ms. McCain wanted to keep it that way. She advised that I revisited the relationships in my life.

Victoria was the first friend that I had made since I had been back and I hadn't talked to her since that day that I broke down in the parking lot. It wasn't her fault either. She had texted me often after it happened trying to keep in contact with me. I responded for the first couple of days but after that I couldn't bring myself to. She was the last person that I had apologized to. She was the only person that didn't know me before so she had no inner obligation to stay friends with me. I chewed on the inside of my cheek, my finger hovering over the notification. I pressed after a short internal debate.

Victoria: omg, kai. hi, im sorry. i have been in a technological prison and i haven't had any access. i am so happy to hear from you. ive missed you. im happy you're ok. you are okay, right?

The message made me smile. She didn't hate me. Yay!

Me: I'm okay. Thank you for texting back. I missed you too.

I did. Miss her, I mean. She was my first friend, there's no before with her but she knew a little about it since we both went to McCain. She was the perfect first friend. My phone buzzed again.

Victoria: this is great, i felt really bad. i thought i did something, i was so happy to see your message and when i get home, i hope we can talk if you're okay with that. we don't have to meet in person, i am totally okay with jus texting too.

Me: That sounds good.

We continued to text about her family's trip. They were in Italy visiting her grandparents. Her grandmother was like mine in terms of no technology when you should be spending time with family. After that, we talked about my summer plans. We texted for longer than I realized because before I knew it, my doorbell rang. I sent a quick goodbye before going to the door. August waited for me there. He smiled at me and I returned it. I looked past him to April and Lyle in the car. They didn't notice though, they were busy having what seemed like a heated conversation. I refocused on August.

"You ready?" He asked and I nodded.

As we walked to the car, Lyle and April quieted down. The car ride was silent. I rode in the front, focusing on my hands in my lap. Thankfully, the carnival wasn't too far so we didn't have to sit in that weird silence for long. As someone who loves the quiet, me wanting to get the hell out of the situation said a lot. The carnival always came to town in the middle of summer and stayed until the end. It was the typical kind with the Ferris Wheel, stuffed animal prizes and deep fried foods. I texted my father that I had arrived like I had promised and get out of the car with August. Remington, Nolan and Milan soon appeared.

"I didn't realize that I was going to be a seventh wheel in this get together." Remington said, quickly followed by Lyle's elbow to his side.

"You can come with us, Remy. Leave the couples be." April said grabbing his arm and walking towards the ticket booth with Lyle trailing behind.