My Shot

Chapter 11

My Shot

Kai Donovan

I looked at my nail, picking at them and then mentally scolding myself before stopping. I could hear my dad, making noise two doors down in his room. For a cop, he was not good at moving quietly. I heard something fall, making a loud noise followed by a string of curse words. I peeked my head out to see that his door was slightly opened but not enough to see inside, prompting me to move closer. I pushed his door open to see him kneeling on the floor, picking up shards of glass and a broken frame next to him. In it was my parents' wedding picture. They got married young. My dad was about to leave for basic training and my mother refused to let him leave without them being married first. She was finishing her second year of college, I believe. My father was working at his parents shop next to the campus she was on. They had a short engagement.

He dropped the big shards into the trash can near the door. Thankfully, there weren't any smaller ones. He took the picture out of them frame and placed the frame in the trash as well. Leaning against his bed, he looked at the picture in his hand for a long time before reaching for his phone. It was then that he seemed to notice me for the first time.

"Hey," he said, "How long have you been there?"

"Not long." I responded before inviting myself in and sitting down next to him.

I looked at his attire. He had on a striped button up with black slacks and a blazer resting on the bed behind us. He was wearing his favorite watch and a chain necklace that I hadn't seen in a while. His black dress shoes sat near the door. He liked nice, really nice.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Nowhere, at least not anymore." He refocused on his phone. I watched him open his messages before he angled himself in a way that I wouldn't be able to see.

I raised a brow as the dots slowly connected in my head. Upon realization, I snatched the phone from him. He looked at me shocked, like he genuinely couldn't believe that I had done that. I couldn't either, to be honest.

"You have a date!" I exclaimed.

"No, it wasn't a date. It was meeting up with a friend. It doesn't matter what it was. It's been cancelled." He said as he tried he tried to reach for the phone. I stepped out of his reach. He placed his hands on his hips as he thought about how aggressive he could be in the recovery of his phone. After all, he knew that I was still getting used to being touched by people. I looked at the last message he sent to someone named Silvia.

Me: Sorry for the last minute cancellation but I can't make it tonight.

Silvia: Oh, what's wrong?

Me: Kaiser isn't feeling well.

I scoffed, the nerve of him to use me as his excuse. The phone went off with her reply as I read.

Silvia: Oh okay, I hope he feels better soon. We'll reschedule.

"What was that? Did she reply? What did she say?"

I handed him back the phone and watched as he read her response. I gave him a disapproving look which he picked up on. He scoffed.

"I can't go today. I have a lot of work to catch up on." He said as he took off his watch and chain. "And before you say anything, I used as the excuse because it was easier to understand."

I gave him the same look and said nothing.

"It's not like I did a bad thing. I'd rather cancel than spend the entire time thinking about my work or other things. We can go another time." He continued to explain why he had done the right thing, the better thing.

"Ok." I said, interrupting his explanation.

"Ok?"

I nodded, "I get it."

"Good." He said.

"You're not ready."

"Ready? Theres nothing to be ready for. Drinks with an old friend? I do that all the time."

I nodded along, "Right, sure."

"You are so much like your mother. I can't even name it, this thing that you both do where you say what I want to hear but you don't actually mean it. It's annoying, very much so."

I smiled at his comment.

"Have fun, dad."

"Fun? Doing what? Paperwork isn't entertaining at all."

As he said that, the doorbell rang. He looked at me confused. His phone rang after a minute.

"Hello? Silvia? You're here? Right now? Oh, ok. Hold on. Bye."

My father glared at me before checking his messages.

Me: Kai is feeling better actually, he took some medicine and is sleeping it off. Are you still free?

Silvia: Yes, of course. I'll meet you at your house?

Me: Perfect.

His head snapped back up to me.

"Kai! You're so sneaky."

I just smiled at him.

"Just like your mother. You'll be the death of me."

He muttered to himself, pacing quickly. He couldn't take that long, after all he had someone waiting downstairs.

"Okay, okay, okay." He said as he put his watch and necklace back on. He grabbed his blazer and slipped into his shoes.

"Ok, how do I look?" He twirled with his arms out.

"Hot." I put up an ok with my hand.

"Alright." He grabbed his keys and headed down the stairs to the door. "Oh and Kai?"

I looked down at him from the banister.

"We'll talk about your behavior tonight when I get back. Or in the morning. I haven't forgot how this went down."

My smile fell as he waved goodbye and went to greet his guest. While I had his phone, I thought back to how my parents first date came about. My mother had come into the store with her friends to pay groceries for their apartment. It hadn't been the first time. My father noticed every time they came him, my mother more specifically. He wanted to ask her out but never could bring himself to do it which is where his younger brother, my uncle, stepped in and told her without him knowing. My mother called my dad over and told him about what my uncle had said and took it upon herself to ask him out to which he arrived and as they say, the rest was history.

My father was the type of person that needed to be pushed into something good for him. Maybe Silvia was good for him, maybe not. One thing was for sure, I was not going to let him throw away his shot.

~~~~~~~~

Another Chapter Completed! More Ham References Down!

Vote!
Comment!
Enjoy!

2.39k Reads
146 Votes
38 Comments

8/26/2020