Here For You

DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE READING OR WANTING TO READ THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS SERIES. MAJOR SPOILER ALERT.

A/N This one-shot is based after Max, Alec's younger brother, dies in City of Glass. Magnus and Alec are also not perfect in terms of their relationship. All characters belong to Cassandra Clare.

Alec's eyes widened at the figure of his younger brother, who now lay completely still. Dead. Alec vaguely felt Izzy cling to his sweater, crying and her nails digging into his sleeve. Jace was standing behind Alec, leaking silent tears. Alec's parents stood against a pillar, Robert somewhat supporting Maryse. 

"One of you needs to come forwards and say the final words," the person doing Max's funeral ceremony said sadly. No one moved. Alec knew that his family was counting on him. Alec stepped forwards and looked at Max's small face in the coffin. The words hurt to say. But he said it. None of his family would. He had to be the big brother like always. "Ave atque vale, Max Lightwood." Hail and farewell, Max Lightwood.

As soon as the words came out of his lips, Izzy had sprinted off and Jace had silently left. Even though Alec's throat burned and even though each breath was like inhaling sand, Alec went over to his parents, still not crying. "Mother," Alec said and Robert released his hold on her. She collapsed against Alec's chest. With a nod, Alec's father left, leaving Alec to act as the pier supporting their whole family.

"Shush, mother," Alec said as calmly as he could. Slowly, he led her away from Max's coffin and towards their house in Idris. They found it soon enough and Maryse went to her room, wobbling slightly. Alec headed to his own bedroom and fell on the bed. He told himself to not cry. He had to hold it together for the sake of everyone. He had to be strong.

Alec did not sleep. He tossed and turned and finally got out of bed, the duvets falling on the floor. Alec took off, not knowing where to go. He couldn't go back to bed. He couldn't be a strong brother if Izzy or Jace needed to cry. He could only run in a random direction before stopping, almost instinctively.

Magnus was arranging his bed, the duvets firmly tucked in to stop them from falling everywhere. And then there was a knock. This was Idris, the homeland of Shadowhunters. Magnus could not ignore the knock. In silk pyjama shorts and a short-sleeved, thin T-shirt, Magnus headed downstairs and opened the door. It was Alec Lightwood. His not-yet-official boyfriend.

"Alexander..." Magnus said. Magnus knew about Max's death and he also knew that this was not the time for teases. "Look, Magnus," Alec began, "I know our relationship hasn't been great the past few days and I know that it's my fault. But right now, I have no where else to go. Max is dead and I've been strong for my family. But I can't anymore, Magnus. Tell me to go away and I will. But please, I - I need to cry."

Magnus gasped. This sight of Alec was incredibly painful to see. Quickly, with a gentle touch on Alec's arm, Magnus led him to the couch and made Alec sit down. Alec obliged and Magnus sat down next to him. With and arm around Alec's back, Magnus guided the Shadowhunter towards him. Alec leaned in, as if grief had tired him out too much to even protest. Burying his face in the crook of Magnus' neck, Alec cried. 

Alec's heart-wrenching sobs stopped eventually and Alec looked up. Magnus slid his fingers into Alec's hair and stroked back his dark curls. "I'm sorry," Alec finally said, "I'll leave." Magnus shook his head. "No, Alec, you don't need to go. We can talk about our relationship later, but right now, stay here. All your tears are pointless if you have no one to share them with," Magnus said and with defeat, Alec leaned into Magnus, his head pillowed on Magnus' chest.

"It hurts so much, Magnus," Alec said and Magnus wound his fingers into Alec's. "I know," Magnus said and he did know. "Grief is an emotion that never goes away, Alexander. It might get easier, but nothing will heal it. The best medicine for grief is someone for you to share it with. And I'll be that person, at least for now," Magnus said and Alec gratefully nodded. 

Alec did not cry anymore but he did not move away from Magnus' comforting and loving embrace. "I'm sorry about our relationship," Alec whispered. "Shush, let's not talk about that now," Magnus said and pulled Alec closer. 

"Whatever happens with our relationship," Magnus told Alec, "I'll always be here for you. Whether that is because you need a shoulder to cry on or because you need someone to share your joys with. I'm never going to leave you." Alec nodded against Magnus' chest and held onto Magnus' words and embraces as the sky turned to warm shades of pink and orange and yellow. 

A new day was being crafted as was hope in Alec's grieving heart. Maybe Magnus would never leave him. Maybe they had many beautiful years together. Maybe their future was as bright as the sun and the stars. Maybe everything would be alright.

A/N Hope you all enjoyed this one-shot. Please comment, vote and share!

Love, IC XXXXX❤