Shadows and Fire

A/N Hope you guys are going to enjoy this one-shot. All characters belong to Cassandra Clare.

Magnus was giving a piggy-back to Max, who was squealing delightedly. "Faster! Faster!" Max told his Papa and Magnus raced into their bedroom before crashing into Alec. Alec toppled backwards onto their bed and Magnus fell on top of him. Max giggled and rolled off, exiting his parents' bedroom, giving Magnus and Alec a few minutes on their own. Magnus planned to utilise it fully.

Magnus bowed his head and laid his lips to Alec's fully, Alec's strong and carful arms holding Magnus up as the warlock cupped Alec's cheek. Magnus broke away for only a moment and blowed their bedroom door shut. "Magnus," Alec said with a small grin, "We are not doing this now." Magnus rolled off Alec and glared at him. "Oh come on, I have an Institute to get to," Alec whined. Magnus still glared and with a dramatic sigh, Alec kissed Magnus again quickly but passionately and then stood up, trying to make his wrinkled shirt less wrinkly.

"I'm showing Max some simple spells today," Magnus informed Alec as the pair came into the sitting room. Max had heard him. "Yay, spells!" Max cheered and bounded up to Magnus, who opened his arms for the tiny warlock. "How about me?" Rafe asked, coming from the kitchen with an energy bar. "Do you want to come to the Institute?" Alec inquired. Rafe shook his head. "I want to train," Rafe said instead, "Not look at boring papers." Max nodded his agreement. 

"I'm sure Uncle Jace'll happily train you whilst Dad gets stuck with paperwork," Alec said and Magnus secured a hand around Alec's waist. "No, but can we train after you get home?" Rafe asked. Alec nodded and Magnus kissed him quickly. "Go on, Alexander," he urged, "We'll be waiting." All three of them waved as Alec exited the loft with a "Love you all" and he received back a "Love you more, sweetheart" from Magnus. At least Alec had the three of them to look forward to after paperwork.

Alec had, as expected, mounds of paperwork. He was trying desperately to not think about what the kids and his boyfriend were doing. Probably trying to contain Max as he screamed the house down because of excitement. That had happened when Magnus had magicked up an ice-cream half as tall as Max himself. 

"Papa!" Max exclaimed, "I want to learn spells!" Magnus ruffled his son's hair. "Let me just see what your brother is up to and then we will," Magnus promised and made his way over to the kitchen. Flour and sugar covered the counters. "Heavens, Rafe," Magnus said, snapping his fingers to get rid of the mess, "What are you doing?" Rafe beamed up at Magnus proudly. "I'm making cookies!" he said, shining. "Oh that's lovely," Magnus praised but the smell coming from the oven suggested otherwise. "I'm going to teach Max some spells," Magnus informed Rafe. Rafe gave a nod.

"What spell are we doing, papa?" Max asked eagerly. "How about we start with a spell to make your fingers glow?" Magnus suggested; this was the easiest spell after all. Max nodded enthusiastically. "You have to take a big breath," Magnus explained and Max did an exaggerated version of the instruction he was given. "And pull all your magic to your heart." Max looked very intent and focus as he 'pulled magic to his heart'. After a few moments of no change, Max looked crushed. 

"It isn't working!" Max whined. Magnus grasped Max's elbow. "It'll take some practice, Blueberry; you'll have to start feeling your magic," Magnus explained and with a sad nod Max closed his eyes. "Keep your eyes closed and try to find and feel a spark of light," Magnus suggested. Max concentrated for a long moment. "It feels red," Max whispered. "Good," Magnus smiled, "Now try latch on to it." Max looked like he was asked to move the Himalayas but then he brightened. Magnus understood why.

Max's fingertips were glowing a soft shade of red and orange, like the sunset. It was very subtle but Max had done it. Max opened one eye, saw that he had done it, lost all his concentration and cheered happily. A baffled Rafe walked into the sitting room, munching on his cookie. And the greatest surprise of all day happened. The front door opened and Alexander was there.

Max bounced into Alec's arm, showing with dramatic gestures how he had done his first piece of magic and Magnus walked over, placing a small kiss on Alec's cheek. "You're home early," Magnus commented, Max running away to his room. "I couldn't stay away from my three beautiful boys," Alec said sweetly. Magnus rolled his eyes and kissed Alec on the mouth, both of them breaking apart when Rafe cleared his throat.

"How about our training session?" Rafe asked and Alec brightened. Magnus knew what was about to happen and clicked his fingers. The couch was gone and instead there were training mats dotted around the floor and Rafe and Alec were dressed in training gears. Max bounded down the stairs and exclaimed, "I'm a Shadowhunter," and to make him happy, Magnus clicked his fingers again, dressing his youngest son in some gear. 

Alec smiled gratefully at Magnus and Magnus went over into the apothecary, brewing a potion for a client. Alec looked at his two sons. "Now that you know how to deliver a straight punch," Alec said to Rafe who smiled proudly, "Let's learn to kick our opponents off their feet." Rafe smiled and the next hour was spent with Alec being in a ready pose and Rafe (occasionally Max) lunging low and delivering a sweeping kick across Alec's shin to get him to the floor. After the hour was up, both Max and Rafe looked shattered and they were yawning. "I'm going to bed," Rafe announced and sprinted up the stairs with Max following him. With a tried smile himself, Alec went to find Magnus.

Magnus felt familiar hands go around his middle and a tired Alec was leaning against him. "I love you," Alec murmured. "I love you too, Alexander," Magnus said and turned around in Alec's arm. Alec kissed Magnus, soft at first and then a little more passionately. Magnus wound his fingers into Alec's hair and when Alec parted for air, he smiled tiredly. With a small yawn and another peck on the lips, Alec muttered, "Come on, let's go to bed."

A/N Hope you guys enjoyed! Feel free to comment, vote and share!! And just saying that in the title, the 'Shadows' stands for Alec and Rafe and their Shadowhunter heritage, whilst the 'Fire' represents Magnus and Max's magic.

Love, IC xxxx❤️