Happy Birthday, Mikey

The banner was up, the orange balloons were out and Leonardo was proud of himself. He knew Mikey wasn't in the mood to celebrate but he didn't care. Raph or no Raph, Mikey was gonna get a sixteenth birthday party.

Donnie rolled out of the lab, looking for his cup of coffee and stopped when he saw all the decorations.

"What's this?" Donnie asked. Leo turned around and smiled.

"It's Mikey's birthday party."

"He said he didn't want to celebrate."

"April had a point, you never turn sixteen again. This is a special year." Leo explained.

"Yea, I know but Leo, he's gonna be ticked. He wants Raph and since Raph isn't here......."

"Speaking of which, I need you help with something." Leo said as he walked to the kitchen.

"And what is that?" Donnie asked, following his brother. 

"April called me last night. Raph went to her place."

"What!?"

"He had a messed up shoulder and he asked her to clean it. She tried to convince him to go home but he said no."

"Okay, and?"

"And she followed him to where he's been staying. He's been crashing in the warehouse district. Specifically the one next to the butchery. If we get there and use the element of surprise. We could convince Raph to come home for Mikey's party." Leo smiled as he started making pancakes.

"That would be a great idea except.....two things."

"Which are?"

"One, Raphael is a master tracker. He has a very keen sense of knowing when people are following him. And April isn't as stealthy as we are. He most likely led her to a fake location to throw us off his trail. Two, he's not gonna show up for Mikey's birthday, stay for the party then leave. He wouldn't do that to him. Especially on a birthday like this." Donnie said. Leo bowed his head.

"I didn't even think about that."

"It's okay, Leo."

"No, Donnie, it's not! Raph is our brother, and if he doesn't have the decency to come to his younger brothers birthday, then he's no longer apart of this family in my eyes!" Leo shouted and Donnie's heart shattered.

"You don't mean that, just like you didn't mean what you said that night."

"Raphael is being a petulant child. I can understand being mad at me. But you and Mikey didn't do anything wrong! Why is he punishing you two for my mistake!?"

"I don't know, Leo. But clearly, he's convinced you said it for all of us." Donnie whispered.

"What's this!?" Mikey shrieked. Leo walked out of the kitchen, his whole attitude changing.

"Happy birthday, Mikey!" Leo smiled. Mikey's eyes swelled with tears.

"Thanks, dudes!" Mikey smiled as he pulled his brothers into a hug.

"Happy birthday, little brother." Donnie said as he held Michelangelo's face in his hands.

"Thanks. What's for breakfast? I'm starving." Mikey said as he walked into the kitchen.

"It's not ready yet, I got a little distracted. But it will be in a few minutes." Leo said as he continued his work on the pancakes.

He listened from the outside of the Lair, it sounded like everyone was inside the kitchen. He snuck in and quietly ran to Mikey's room. He dropped the bag and card before leaving. He heard someone coming. Shell! He jumped up into the rafters and remained silent. They couldn't know that he was there. He wasn't ready for that. He wasn't ready to come home. He watched as Donnie walked into the bathroom. He had to go, now. He jumped down and ran.