Chapter 5: Fear of the Truth

Hey Readers,

Just to give you a heads-up, this chapter has some self-deprecating thoughts, major character death, and mentions of suicide. If you're not comfortable just skip this chapter.

-N0vu5 

My body stiffens almost immediately.

'No no no! This can't be happening!'

"What do you mean? That's what I remember." I insist, trying, and failing to keep my voice even.

"Don't lie to us Midoriya," Aizawa states looking angry.

'No no no! What did I do wrong!'

'I told you this wouldn't work!'

I dig my fingers into my arm ignoring the stinging, as I try to focus.

"Midoriya you need to explain just what happened this morning." Midnight says sternly.

'Yes, Izuku. Tell them. Tell them about the future, about how you killed all of your friends.'

'That's not true!'

I push my nails deeper ignoring the feeling of wetness from the injury.

"Midoriya you aren't in trouble but we need an explanation," Cementos speaks softly.

'Tell them how you watched them die because of you.'

'Be quiet!'

Deeper

"Did you just have a bad dream or something?" Snipe continues.

'Tell them how it's all YOUR fault.'

'It's not true!'

Deeper

"Midoriya we can't help you unless you tell us what's wrong." Hound Dog says.

'Tell them how you led them to their deaths.'

'No! It isn't-'

DEEPER

"It's ok Izuku. Let us help." Thirteen speaks her voice sounding just like-

And suddenly, I'm plunged into a flashback.

Flashback

"It's ok Izuku,"

"No please! Please don't go!" I shout tears streaking down my face as I cradle Mom in my arms.

"I know you'll be a great hero," She says smiling up at me.

"We'll get you help! The pros will find us soon." I say frantically trying to staunch the bleeding.

A puddle of blood surrounds us. I feel the sticky liquid soaking into my clothes.

"It's too late for me Izu," She reaches up pushing away my tears with her crimson-stained hand, smearing blood on my face.

"Please! I can't lose you!" I sob desperately trying to help her.

"It's ok Izu. Live. Live for me." She whispers.

I ignore the sounds of fire surrounding me. I ignore the sounds of sirens in the distance. I ignore the fact that the amount of blood on the floor grows with each breath my mother takes.

"No! NO! I'll save you I'll-"

"I love you son." Her voice begins to weaken as she takes in a breath, "You will always be my hero."

"My Izu." Her trembling hands cup my face.

She gives me a smile, her last smile, as her eyes slide shut. Then her body goes stiff and limp.

"NO NO NO NO! Please! Open your eyes Mom! PLEASE!" I wail, clutching on to her body.

'She died because of you!'

'You couldn't save her!'

'This is YOUR fault!'

"Kacchan was right, you'll NEVER be a hero!'

Flashback end

The sea of voices begins to drown me. I can hardly think.

"Shut up!" I yell covering my ears in an attempt to block them out, "Stop it! Just be quiet!"

I hear as if from far away, someone calling my name. But I can't understand their words. All I can hear is the endless yelling and screaming.

'Useless!'

'Worthless!'

'Faker!'

"Please stop!" I curl into myself, as the air turns to lead.

I can hardly suck in a breath. My heart pounds furiously against my chest. I feel as though it will explode in seconds.

'You should just die!'

'Quirkless!'

'Disgrace!'

"Shut up!" I can't breathe.

Third Person

Hound Dog, who counseled many children in his lifetime, immediately recognizes the signs of a panic attack. The other teachers had crowded around Midoriya, calling his name and trying to find out what's wrong.

"Back up!" He orders.

Thankfully, the teachers listen to him and back away from the poor child. Iuni kneels in front of the first year using calming tones to try to make him relax.

"It's ok you're safe."

The boy continues to rock back and forth, nails digging so far into his skull that he draws blood.

"Izuku I need you to breath, ok?"

Hound Dog slowly reaches out and rubs calming circles on Midoriya's back, not missing the younger's slight flinch from the touch.

"Take a deep breath in, and let it out." He continues, demonstrating the technique.

At first, Midoriya doesn't listen to him, but he slowly starts to calm down, using the hero's movements to ground him.

"That's it like that." Iuni gently encourages.

The room is silent as Hound Dog coaxes Izuku into relaxing. The heroes are confused by the young boy's reaction. Yes, they had been pushing Midoriya but they needed to know. No one had meant to scare the child.

Izuku's POV

Once I manage to calm down, Hound Dog removes the hand from my back and stands. I gulp looking anywhere but the heroes embarrassed by my actions.

"Are you alright young Midoriya?" All Might asks, worry lacing his voice.

"Sorry," I mutter.

Nezu sighs, "I just want to know the truth, I didn't mean to scare you."

I want to lie again, but I know that it won't work for a second time.

"The truth is..." I falter.

'If I tell them, they'll get involved again but if I don't they'll be even more suspicious.'

I bite my lip in contemplation.

"I..."

I look around at the teachers. The heroes who died because of me.

"I'm from the future."