Chapter 41: The Decision

Start from the beginning

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I've decided to get married," Ellis announced. The various officials in the throne room were quick to give their congratulations. The relief was evident on their faces.

Not for long, Ellis thought with slight amusement.

"Well this is certainly a wonderous event. What house is the lucky lady from?" An elderly official asked.

"She is from no house."

The officials shared a wary look. However Lord Caine and his son Jamie did not seem to pick up on the underlying hostility in the King's voice.

"Hmm yes, I suppose a foreign lady would help secure a valuable alliance," Lord Caine said. 

Jamie smiled. "His majesty is wise indeed."

"My queen is from neither an established house or a foreign kingdom."

The smile was gone.

"I'm sorry my king, I do not understand. How could you marry a commoner?" 

"Perhaps I should make you understand then," Ellis said with a sneer. "I am the king, I can marry who I wish."

"Son," Caine warned in a hushed whisper. However, the boy ignored him.

"But--"

"What? I thought you said I was wise. Did you not?" Ellis loved playing games. And it seemed that Jamie was unaware of the dangerous game he was playing.

"Well yes, I did but--"

"Be careful of letting lies come from your mouth, or you might find that you do not have a tongue to speak them," Ellis interrupted. 

Jamie sealed his lips shut. He was suddenly very aware of the weight of the tongue in his mouth. He looked to his father for support, but the older man looked away with a clenched jaw.

"May his majesty's marriage bring honor and prosperity to the kingdom," a different official said. The older man bowed his head in respect to the king. One by one the other officials took after him. 

"May his majesty's marriage bring honor and prosperity to the kingdom."

How pitiful, Ellis thought looking at the room filled with officials who hated him. Some more than others. His gaze lingered on one person in particular.

But even the most difficult dogs know when to submit.

Having accomplished his purpose, Ellis rose from his chair and left the room. Without the presence of the king, the officials raised their heads and spoke in hushed whispers. Some talked about family, some gossip, but a certain father and son did not speak at all. They merely shared a look that only they could know the meaning of.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as the officials had left the castle, Ellis called the princes to the throne room for a meeting. He would tell them the news. They wouldn't like it--he knew they wouldn't--but they would come to realize that they didn't have a choice. He was going to marry (Y/n), and anyone who stood in his way would be damned.

"I will be marrying (Y/n)." Ellis leaned back in his chair, waiting.

The reactions were immediate. 

"No."

"You crazy bastard," Roman yelled, "you only want (Y/n) for yourself."

"I won't let you have her," Leo added.

"Calm down everyone. I know that everyone desires (Y/n), so while she will be my wife in name, there will be nothing preventing you from seeing her."

"Simply seeing her isn't enough." Kion interrupted. He wanted to do so much more to (Y/n) than just look at her. He wanted to feel her--

"You--you pervert!" Leo yelled. He jumped out of his chair. The sporadic movement startled even himself. "Next time that knife won't land in your shoulder."

Kion's hand automatically went to his bandaged shoulder. He grit his teeth. Roman rose from his chair placing his hands on Leo's shoulders and pushing the smaller boy back into his seat. A look of calm fury was clear on Roman's face. It only seemed to make him more frightening.

Leo transferred his murderous gaze to Ellis who idly tapped his fingertips against the table.

 "Do you really think we would trust you?" The brown-haired boy was no longer yelling, but his cheeks were still flushed from his previous outburst.

"You don't have a choice," Ellis began, "Think about it. Legally, there is nothing keeping (Y/n) here. The late king and queen changed her contract, as soon as the court realizes this, they will send her away. Since it is a contract written by the late king, I cannot change it. However, if she were to be married to me, then I would be able to pay off her charges and--"

"and she would be required to stay in the castle," Roman finished.

"Exactly"

"I don't like it," Kion said . His words were drawn out. Conflicted. "but if it will keep (Y/n) here then it is worth it. 

"Good, then--"

"On the condition that she is shared. Equally"

Ellis narrowed his eyes at the blonde's statement. He had no intention of sharing (Y/n), but he would have to put up with his brothers for now. He just had to convince them that he was on the same page.

"It looks like we have a deal."

Words: 1435

A/N: Hey guys, I'm back. I really have missed you guys and writing this book. I probably wont have a consistent updating schedule again for a while, but I won't leave you guys hanging for another 6 months lol. If you didn't see my post about why I was gone, you can check out the details in an announcement I made. Thanks for reading as always!