Chapter 24: Some Dreams are Nightmares

Recap: All of the princes realize that they like (Y/n). Ellis invites (Y/n) to the festival.

Ellis stood at the door to his office. He tapped his foot impatiently. It was noon, and (Y/n) was nowhere in sight.

Where is she?

Ellis checked his wristwatch again. 12:02.

That's it. I'll find her myself.

Ellis took long strides down the hallway. He tried to remember the girl's schedule. He had gotten it from Myrrine. The older woman was quite helpful when it came to getting information on (Y/n). If only she was more willing.

"Ellis?"

The man in question turned his body towards (Y/n). He put his hands into his pockets trying to appear casual.

"Where were you going? I thought you said to meet at your office," (Y/n) asked.

"You were late."

(Y/n) gave him a look of disbelief. She knew for a fact that she was no more than a few minutes late.

"It doesn't matter," he continued, "you're here now. Shall we go."

(Y/n)'s mood quickly brightened. She thought about the festival, and all of the tasty food and all of the stuff to do and all of the people and dancing and fireworks--oh the fireworks. She couldn't wait.

"Yeah, let's go!"

"First let's stop by the your quarters so you can get changed," Ellis said.

(Y/n) looked up at him. Was he stupid? She didn't have anything else to change into.

"These are the only clothes I have." (Y/n) looked down self-consciously. "Do I look bad?"

"No of course not. I just wanted you to be comfortable," he rushed. "That will do. Let's just head out yeah?"

(Y/n) nodded her head and followed the dark-haired prince through the castle. When they got to the front doors Ellis stepped outside. However, (Y/n) was stopped.

"You can't leave without permission," a guard said. He put his arm out preventing (Y/n) from leaving.

"Umm I--"

She was cut off by a slightly angered male. "Can't you see that she's with me? Now step aside."

The guard bowed towards the prince and muttered out an apology. Ellis firmly grabbed onto (Y/n)'s arm. He pulled her outside.

There was a carriage waiting for them. (Y/n)'s jaw dropped. They would be going in that? She was so focused on admiring the carriage that she didn't see Ellis get in. He peeped his head out.

"Are you coming?"

(Y/n) ran over and climbed into the inside of the carriage. The seats were plush leather. She sat across from Ellis. And they started heading towards Lissun. It would be a little while before they got there, so (Y/n) decided to make conversation.

"Have you ever been to the festival before?"

"No," he paused, "I don't usually take part in the festivals held by commoners."

(Y/n) gasped. "So you've never been to any of the events? The flower festival?" The male stared at her blankly. "The spring festival?"

Ellis cleared his throat. "Well no."

(Y/n) leaned in. She had a teasing smile on her face. "So I guess you've never had fun," she teased.

Ellis didn't laugh or smile. Were festivals really considered 'fun'? Now that she mentioned it, Ellis didn't really think that he had done anything fun in a long time.