Chapter 46

Inferno

    She woke up, eyes squinting against the bright blue sky. She took in a deep breath, and realized there was an unfamiliar sensation in her body: a lack of pain.

    She sprawled her hands onto the grass beneath her and pushed herself into a sitting position. Her body was covered by a flowing white dress. She scowled. Who the hell dressed her?

    Then, off to the distance, she heard what sounded like a violent fight. To her dismay, her hand encountered empty spaces on her body that were usually occupied by a diverse selection of weapons.

    "Finally, girl, you awaken." 

    Inferno shot to her feet when she saw the woman flying above her body. She was completely dumbfounded when she got a good look at her. It was as though she was gazing into a mirror, expect this woman had a brilliant pair of wings.

    Inferno was envious. "Who are you? Where am I?"

    "I am your salvation, and I've taken you to my world, the world of the ancients, where legends rest their eternal rest."

    Inferno gazed around at the forestry. "Salvation? World of the ancients?"

    She floated down toward the ground. Her bare feet made contact gracefully. This woman nodded. "Think of this place as a spiritual dimension instead of a physical one."

    "So, it's all in my head."

    She pursed her lips. "In a way, yes."

    "Why would you bring me here?"

    "The devils who began your torture have many more allies than I anticipated. They've put you and your beastly man into a slumber which cannot be broken. I have tried several times to combat this spell, but I cannot. Do not fear, I will eliminate the Paramount."

    "No!" Inferno shouted, taking a warrior's stance. "You will not hurt her."

    The woman frowned in confusion. "You defend the one who has caused you all this anguish."

    "I died for her," Inferno explained, "and I brought this upon myself."

    "Yet she so selfishly and foolishly stole your death without so much as considering the consequences!" The woman hissed.

    "Don't talk about her like that!" Inferno snapped. "She did what she did out of love, and it was me who decided to run away. She would have hunted me down had she truly known what was causing this. She didn't know."

    "I have come to rid you of this pain," she replied, "I cannot depart without eliminating this threat."

    "Look at me!" Inferno shouted.

    She did.

    Inferno paused and really thought about it. "You're the reason for these strange transitions. Wait. Are you possessing me?"

    Her spine straightened. "I am simply doing what I must to protect you. I have seen the countless of times those around you have failed you. I will not fail you."

    Inferno suddenly felt warmth in her heart toward the woman, something she wasn't expecting in the slightest. "You've been trying to stop this pain the whole time, haven't you?"

    "Inferno, I am long gone from this world, yet your cries reached me. I could not ignore them. Do you understand now why I am doing this, child?"

    Inferno nodded. "I still can't let you kill her. I would rather die than hurt another strand of hair on that perfect head of hers. You'll have to take me down first."