Chapter 36

Inferno

     "Hey, Inferno?" Inferno heard his voice and turned to see Edwin. 

     She looked around to see that they were the only two in the hallway. She squinted at him in suspicion. "What?" 

    His voice was soft and light, always so polite. "Can I talk to you for a second?" The gentleness there reminded her of Annika.

    She crossed her arms. "You already are, what's the point in asking then?" 

    He smiled at her. "Smartass. In private, outside?" 

    Inferno studied him for a second, picturing the little boy she had loved so dearly, just like the rest of her brothers. Could she trust him? "Fine," she snapped, "but make it quick, I'm on limited time here." Literally.

    They turned to each other as they reached the back porch. "Okay, we're in private, now what?" 

    He stilled, looking down at his feet. Seconds passed and she almost lost her patience—not that she had any to begin with. He met her gaze. "Me and Poppy, we're leaving." 

    Inferno didn't understand the heaviness in her heart that responded, almost as if this news saddened her. "Why?" She found herself asking. 

    He nibbled on his lip. "It's what best for us right now, nothing against the family-" 

    She cut him off with a shake of her head. "You owe me nothing. You don't have to explain anything to me-" 

    "I can't leave without thanking you." 

    She was silenced into shock. "You don't-" 

    "No!" He snapped. "Let me get this out, please. I want to thank you for everything you've done for this family, and as much as I know you hate us, it is our family." She flinched. "You will always be my sister, you always have been. You want to know why? Because I love you. I love you so much, Inferno. Hate us all you want, torture us, but I love you and I will be here for you no matter what." 

    A warmth came over Inferno and her throat became thick with buried emotion. "What do you want me to say?" 

    He smiled warmly at her. "You don't have to say anything, but I couldn't go without leaving you with the truth." 

    Inferno breathed in deeply. "How long will you be gone?" 

    "Not long, but we're still going to do our part to help you as best as you can, you can count on that." 

    Inferno responded with a dry chuckle. "Don't bother, got enough assholes on the case already. You take care of Poppy, she needs you more than ever. She isn't past what's been done to her, you know that, don't you?"

    A look of pain crossed his features. "Yes." 

    "Good. I guess the next time I see you, I'll either be six feet under or still kicking ass, huh?" 

    "Only you would joke about dying." He paused. "I want to hug you, but I know I'd find my balls detached from my body if I did." 

    Inferno nodded. "Unlike the others, you clearly listen. Goodbye, Edwin... Don't tell anyone this, but... it was nice seeing you." 

    "Goodbye, Inferno." 

***********************************************************