Chapter 7

Inferno

     Anxiety and anticipation were near blinding her in vision with glaring whiteness. There was a great thumping in her chest, so great that her skin was vibrating and shivering like one, unified pulse. 

     Her ears picked up all of their voices. Some deep, some calm, and others animated. After so long, and after everything that happened, she had naively assumed that they would suddenly disappear into thin air. 

     She struggled to remain composed, as this situation became more and more true until she was unable to deny that her family was feet away, completely unaware of her presence.

     But they would be aware soon enough.

     "What if they don't like me?" Rouhem muttered from his position. She found comfort with him standing so near to her, as though she needed protection instead of the other way around. 

     Her eyes briefly met his vibrant gaze. He knew just what to say in order to alleviate a peice of the tension from her muscles. "They will probably shoot you if that is so." 

     "Just what I need. Ten more versions of Inferno trying to shoot me!" She wanted to smile. She truly did, yet her stomach was rolling and there was a possible headache on the way. At this pace, she would be sick soon...

     "I regret this," Rouhem burst out in a whisper, but she knew he was only blowing smoke.

     She went dead silent as thundering footsteps approached their location. So many people, all of whom she used to call family.

     Their chaos of conversation could finally be heard. 

       "You're not wrong. I would have crushed his skull." Her heart could have exploded from the intensification of her emotions which were running wild. 

     "Relax, before you get yourself worked up," another voice intervened. Inferno froze at that voice. Welcoming like heated syrup, dripping with sweetness. She knew the cadence well, even after all these years. Her mother. 

     They all came charging in with intent to ravage whatever food lay on the table. 

     Memories bombarded her thoughts for no longer than flashes...

     "Jameson, where is she!" mother screamed.

     Young Inferno laid her tiny palm over the wound on her stomach. Blood spilled over her small, pale fingers. She could not quite process what had taken place seconds ago. All she knew was that at one time, she was standing by the front window, and the next, she was on the floor, overwhelmed by pain. 

     "Jameson, get the boys!" Inferno failed to comprehend her mother's urgency. "Inferno, darling, where are you! Scream, baby, I can't find you!" 

     "Mama," Inferno stuttered, tasting metallic liquid on her tongue. What was happening? 

     "Inferno! Oh god, no, please, god, no! Not my baby!" this time, the scream was close enough to hurt her eardrums. She had never heard this terror in one's voice before. Above entered the view of her lovely mother. Sharp, reddened crystal eyes. Pale skin, like her own. Rosy cheeks. Young Inferno never believed for a moment that there was anyone more beautiful in the world. 

      Her lids felt heavy. She was suddenly very tired. Exhaustion was not common for a more frequently energetic child. "Mama?" the lights were beginning to dim in her vision.