Chapter 17

Rouhem

     He was not past eavesdropping , and proved himself correct as he listened in on the couple who waited outside the room. Everyone else waited inside patiently. He wouldn't have been surprised if they were doing just as he was. 

     "How are the stitches?" Edwin must have been referring to the removal of her tracking device. 

     "Fine, it hardly hurts at all." Her reassuring voice was soft but firm. 

     "Promise?" So concerned he sounded. This was how a man should treat his woman. 

     "Promise."

     "You don't have to do this. You really don't." Edwin was giving her the perfect window of opportunity to opt out. Rouhem couldn't blame him for it. 

     "No," she whispered, "I want them to trust me. They are your family, and I... I don't want to be a rift. I'll just be an outsider until I do this, because then they'll have no reason not to trust me. I am more than willing to give it, even through this... Method." She was either a great actress or one of the few people of decency. Rouhem trusted Inferno's judgement and hoped for the latter. 

     "I just don't like this. I feel like I am failing you-"

     "Stop that, Edwin. I want to do this. I have nothing to hide. You know that. There is nothing to fear... Right?"

     His heavy sigh communicated his thick disapproval. "Yes, Love. But if at any point you want to stop, we will. Okay?"

     "Edwin... I want to do this. For you and for me." Rouhem tuned out when it became clear they were smooching. 

     "Why would she invite us to come?" Rouhem asked Inferno, shifting his attention. He looked around at the blood. They all formed a misshaped oval around a single chair. A light from above beamed down on the flat seat. It was a chair ready for the girl. 

     "How should I know? This is my first invitation to a party. I usually just go where I please. This obligation is smothering. What do I do with my hands?" She wiggled her fingers in front of her face. Those slender, perfectly sculpted fingers. A small detail of an alluring whole. 

     Her declaration was perplexing. "I would hardly call this a party. Interrogation is more like it." He thought back to his wild days when he didn't return to his room until the sun was beginning to rise, only to have to report straight to the training room where his stern teacher stood. Cue the ass-whooping. 

     "I am sure you know all about partying, my prince," she sneered. 

     Rouhem felt pity for the girl who didn't party. "In my professional opinion, this hostility targeted toward me is more out of jealousy and hot desire than true disdain." He was half-joking, but she didn't have to know that. She was obviously in denial if she did not admit to feeling the slightest attraction toward him. 

     Inferno snorted. "What is it with boys today and assuming I will allow this ritual of pitiful flirtation to commence? You should be on your knees and thanking the gods that your dick is still attached to you." 

     Rouhem frowned. "Hey now, you play nice with my dick. He has done nothing wrong and does not warrant your constant assault of threats." He took a step closer. She surprised him by not immediately reacting with violence. "And I pity you if you think that is flirting. Trust me, you'll know when I am flirting."

     Her newly glowing eyes widened before narrowing with annoyance. "Must I remind you I am always armed with a weapon?" 

     The door opened, blocking Rouhem's witty response which would have most likely gotten him shot. In walked the couple. Edwin had an expression of defiance on his pale features as he wrapped an arm around the girl's narrow shoulders. His challenge was deadly and instinctual. He would fight to the death for this woman.